45 Majesty

Carrie

Heidi's hand jumped up to her mouth to cut off her startled shriek.

I tried not to get irritated about her obvious overreaction to seeing me. What did she think I was going to do, stab her in the same hotel where all the most powerful alphas in the country were staying, at an assembly of the closest thing we werewolves had to unified governmental authority?

"What are you doing here?" she finally asked, her voice strained.

I raised an eyebrow. "That's really none of your business."

"Are you following me?" Her voice became more high pitched with accusation.

"Absolutely not." I couldn't imagine a more tedious task.

"Then are you out for revenge? I won our fight fair and square!"

I could argue that, since I'd been sabotaged either by coincidence or design, but what was the point? "I don't care about that anymore. I've got no interest in you or Asshole Dane, and if I had known you were in here I would have gone somewhere else. Calm down, Luna."

She didn't look happy with what I had called her mate, but then again, I hadn't been trying to make her happy with my snarky little nickname. "Then why are you at the Alpha Assembly?"

"Again, none of your business." I wasn't going to give a detailed explanation of our pack's difficulties to Asshole Dane's head cheerleader. "Now, if you don't mind..."

She unfroze and rushed past me and out of the bathroom. I did what I came there to do, and then wandered over to the sink and splashed water onto my face.

There was a loud pounding knock on the door. Before I could even make a move towards it, it flew open and my asshole ex stood there in the flesh.

"Dane? What the hell?" I snapped. "This is the ladies' room, and—"

"Where is she?" he growled, as if I had pureed his precious mate and stuffed her down the sink. I rolled my eyes. These two were so narcissistic, forgetting there was a whole world beyond them.

"Heidi? She left. Calm the hell down, psycho. And again, get out of here. I'm going to call security."

His eyes narrowed on me. "Why are you here, anyway?"

"I promise you it has nothing to do with you, Dane. Now get the hell out!"

"Heidi—"

"Already left, like I told you." He was clearly not thinking straight and was blocking the door. Maybe I should have been afraid of him, but deep down I still didn't think my asshole ex would actually physically hurt me. Treat me like shit, yes, toss me from the pack, yes, emotionally crush me, yes, but attack me, no. This was all bluster. "Now you need to go—"

"What are you doing in there?" Jason growled from out in the hall. Finally Asshole Dane moved his ridiculous bulk from blocking the doorway and went out to face Jason. I followed him in case I needed to mediate, violence would look bad on everyone involved, and I hadn't forgotten Jason's threats against my ex and disrespect.

"What business is it of yours, rogue?" Asshole Dane snarked. The two were standing far too close to each other. Jason was slightly shorter than Dane and had a lot less bulk, but he was completely unconcerned by that fact. It was striking how much better looking Jason was by comparison now that I saw the two together.

"Carrie's involved, so it's my business."

Asshole Dane stood straighter, as if he were trying to intimidate Jason. Instead of being cowed by Asshole Dane's display, my mate looked caught somewhere between angry and dismissive as he stared him down. It was like he'd turned his hotness up to a whole other level in that moment. What was there not to like about him?