17 Luna

Carrie

He lay on my bed with his arms crossed behind his head like he belonged there—who was I kidding, he probably did—unconcerned that he was naked as he watched me gather a few things for the night.

I said stay over, but realistically, I doubted I would be leaving, if things kept going in this direction. Seriously, we were marked and mated, and I could barely wrap my head around it.

He pulled on his clothes once I was nearly ready. I watched the way his muscles flexed as he moved, and heat built inside of me at the memory of what we had just done together. It had been mind-blowingly good.

A grin split his face as he met my eyes and moved closer to tower over me. "What are you thinking about?"

"Nothing too exciting," I lied, although I didn't expect him to believe me.

"Mmm. Is that so?" he asked, toying with a stray black curl.

"No."

He smiled. "I want to get you home, first."

"Home?"

"Yeah. My pack. Our pack."

His confidence broke for just a second, and he looked vulnerable. I nodded, wanting to reassure him.

He studied my face. "The pack isn't established, it's not going to be easy," he warned again, as if I could somehow still back out. Well, I was certain I could still leave if I wanted to, but it would probably kill my wolf and maybe me along with her. Surely he knew that.

Plus, I didn't want to leave him. My resolve had been weak to begin with, and now it had basically crumbled to dust. "I'll stay with you."

"Good. I need you."

"Well, I can feel that." I could feel him growing against my stomach already.

He smirked at the direction of my attention. "Well, that yes, but I liked having you in my home." He paused, and there was another flicker of uncertainty. "You've already seen it, so you know it's not much right now."

"It's fine."

"Most packs have wealth of generations, but..."

I met his eyes. "That wasn't why I ran away from you, Jason. I left because I thought you were a jerk."

He laughed, as if I hadn't just insulted him. In retrospect, he had put up with all my intentional provocations with a lot of patience for an alpha. "Good," he said, and placed his arm around my back and led me along. I stopped to lock the door. I needed to speak to my landlord, too, I thought, as we left. I headed towards my car.

He stopped me. "Come with me in the truck."

"I'm not leaving my car. I worked hard for it," I said. I planted my feet firmly.

He smiled. "We'll come back for it. I promise. I just don't want to be apart from you."

"Then let's leave your truck," I suggested.

I thought he would argue, but he shrugged. He checked it was locked and strode over to my car. I honestly didn't think it would be that easy, since my disagreement had been more for the sake of disagreeing.

He folded himself into my beater, and I felt instantly guilty for the small amount of leg room he had. The truck would have been more comfortable for him. "Let's go," he said.

"We could take yours."

"This is fine."         

"Do you want to drive?"