31 Meant

Carrie

The rogue was buried the next day, still in his wolf form as he had died. Witches could, for a short time after death, shift a body to their preferred form depending on the wolf's beliefs, but since we didn't have a pack witch and had no way of knowing what the rogue would have wanted even if we did, we could only assume. Burying him as a wolf seemed fitting.

Jason and I, along with the wolf who dug the grave, not by hand, but with one of the machines belonging to Bronson Construction, stood for a silent minute before he filled the grave in. The whole thing only took a matter of moments, a brief conclusion to what had likely been a painful and short life.

Finished with matters in the human world, I turned my attention to my rightful position. As there was no gamma yet, Porter and Randy had been doing the bare minimum of the traditional luna's usual duties, just enough to get by. I didn't blame them, since defense was way more important than ceremony, but both seemed content to dump everything on me and run now that I was really stepping into the role and run for the hills. I could handle it, so I didn't complain. Porter was distracted by mate woes, and I agreed that Randy should be focused on defense and training.

While it was a good thing for the pack, it didn't help that the construction team had been scheduled to start work on a contract they had won, and so my mate and half the pack were off working most days either at the site or for other human employers, leaving me, the young mother Krystal with her baby Rosella, and a skeleton crew of patrols, alone with our newest rogue recruits.

Max still hung around me as my personal guard, but he was still planning on leaving after the moon. I wasn't sure how Jason would be able to bring himself to leave me once his friend was no longer here to guard me. I could tell it pained him already as he kissed me before he got into his truck.

Rather than spend my day moping like I was tempted to do, I ensured that everything was set for my own induction ceremony. Along with Max, I took along Theodora and Krystal with baby in tow to grab supplies from town, and to look for a dress. After a couple of hours of searching, We found something suitable, a white sundress.

It wasn't as fancy as what most lunas would wear, but it fit the situation. It would be selfish to spend more of the pack's hard earned resources than necessary. Jason would love me in whatever I wore, and I would wear it with more pride than I ever could have worn an expensive gown with Asshole Dane.

Already I felt more pride for this pack than I ever did for Greenwoods. My mate had built this, and I would help nurture it as it grew.

Back at the territory, I sat in Jason's office, and I decided it was time to make a couple of phone calls I'd been neglecting. I had a better cell phone now, an extra cost, but necessary for communication beyond what our links could reach. Jason had wanted me to have something more reliable, and I hadn't argued with him.

At first, I had been hesitant to tell my parents or my friends about my situation. I didn't want them to know about him if it was just going to go terribly wrong, but ever since Jason and I had finally shared our pasts, it felt permanent.

I dialed my parents first. After a few rings I heard it connect. "Hello?" my dad asked. He sounded tired. I hoped he wasn't stressed out about me.

"Hey, Dad," I said. "How's it going?"

"Carrie! Hello, it's great to hear from you!" He sounded relieved, which meant he had been worrying. "It's fine here. Just woke up. I ran the early night patrol last night, and you know how that messes with your rhythm. But how are you?"

"I'm good. Is Mom around, too? I have some news."

I heard him yell for my mother. "She's coming. Is it good news?"