13 Challenge

Carrie

Heidi rushed towards me, her teeth bared. I dodged her and observed, judging her movements while trying to get a read on her abilities. I had been good at gauging such things as a scout, and the ability served me well now. While nothing was certain, I already knew that the odds of winning were in my favour.

I rushed her, and nipped her side with my teeth, drawing first blood. The wound would heal quickly, but enough of such small injuries would wear Heidi down and make it easier for me to finish the fight without a fatal wound.

It probably wasn't the most exciting luna challenge, since I kept dodging and wearing her down with small fast attacks. There was blood, but not very much ripped flesh. Heidi managed to get a few hits in on me, but I remained mostly unharmed. She was wearing down. She was not a bad fighter, but I clearly had more experience and training from my scout days.

She leapt towards me with a vicious snarl and I got my teeth on her hind leg as she rushed by, ripping the flesh and putting her off balance. She stumbled forward slightly, and I whirled around and shoved her hard to the ground.

Once I got my teeth into her throat, the fight would be over.

I lunged forward.

White light exploded in my mind. My vision clouded and my muscles were shocked into peaceful stillness. For a mere moment that stretched into hours, the interfering light blocked my senses. Confusion flooded through me, and I shook my head to try to clear the haze that overwhelmed me.

As quickly as it had started, the light disappeared, just soon enough to see that Heidi had regained her feet and was going for my neck. Her teeth dug into my throat as I was forced to the ground under her weight.

If I had my wits about me, I might have managed to dislodge her, but my brain was frantically whirling as I tried to figure out what had happened to me. Had Alpha Dane figured out a way to sabotage me? Would he stoop that low?

My wolf was strangely calm about the situation, as if the light had put her into a trance. Her reaction made me all the more afraid.

"And Luna Heidi has won the fight by submission," I heard Dane announce, and the reality of the situation hit home. I had lost the win, and all because of something strange that happened to my vision. Could something be seriously wrong with my mind? I probably should go and see the pack doctor after this.

Heidi released her grip on my neck and limped over to stand by the alpha. I still felt too stunned to move.

"Carrie is hereby banished from the pack."

My brain refused to process his final words, but at the moment of his pronouncement, bond with my pack snapped. It had been there all my life, and so I had never really noticed it, in the same way I had never really noticed oxygen.

But now that it was gone, I felt the loss keenly, as if all the air had been sucked out of my vicinity. Somewhere, far away, I heard the murmur of verbal dissent rush through the witnesses of the fight.

"Alpha, you can't do that," I heard Samantha snarl. I wanted to mind link her and tell her not to jeopardize herself, but with the pack link gone, I had no connection to her.

"Please, Alpha," my mother said. Others joined her plea, and if I had not been suffering from a separation that felt like death, I might have felt grateful or loved.

Instead, I was empty, lost from the pack I had worked so hard to support. I whimpered, but I doubted anyone heard me over the sound of voices that were crowding all around me.

"The law does not say that the losing party in the fight must be banished."

"Did Carrie throw the fight?"