42 Projectiles

Carrie

The next few days brought more disruption than was normal.

Porter had confined Amanda in his trailer, and she did not take kindly to captivity. She made my time trapped in Jason's trailer look like a peaceful dialogue between friends.

"This whole kidnapping mates thing is becoming an unfortunate trend," I commented to Jason as I poked my finger into his chest. We were sitting together in the office and both having trouble concentrating on regular pack work with so many problems looming over us.

Leaning forward, he caught my finger in his teeth. Sparks ran down my finger straight to highlight the emptiness between my legs. He released it and looked into my eyes. "I barely kidnapped you."

I scoffed. Just because he made me want him all the time, didn't mean I had to agree with him.

He smirked. "Maybe it's trespassing mates who are the problem here?"

"I told you that you should have put up signs. See? It happened again."

"Well, you might be right. We'll make up some 'Beware of Werewolves' signs."

I laughed and pushed up from the desk. "I'm going to try to talk to her again," I said. My first couple of attempts had not gone well, but I wasn't doing any worse than Porter in getting through to her.

"At least take Lee with you," he suggested.

I rolled my eyes. "I can handle a human."

He sighed. "You can, but you're probably pregnant and last time she almost hit you with a toaster."

He had a point about the toaster. "Well, I doubt I'm pregnant. I feel great."

Jason raised a far too sexy eyebrow skeptically in my direction. "You've been eating a ton."

I faked offence with wide eyes and pouting lips. "Are you implying I'm gaining weight?"

"No, but I'd still want to screw you every day even if you did, babe." He winked shamelessly.

I rolled my eyes even though I liked it. "Anyway, it could just be stress eating. We've got to deal with the Alpha Association, and the Amanda problem, not to mention we've got a few more candidates for pack members to deal with."

"And now Porter has to stay here so we're down our beta," he agreed. The plan had been for Porter to come along to the assembly, leaving Randy in charge at home, but everyone had agreed that he needed to be there for his mate. Randy was nervous about the sudden change, which was just another worry on top of all the others.

"I wish we could just let her go," I said.

He didn't look any happier about it than I felt. "If we do, and she talks, the Alpha Assembly will use it against us to deny our legitimacy. We can't take the risk."

"I know that it's the one thing they can all agree on, but it doesn't stop me from wishing otherwise."

Since there wasn't anything else he could say, he kissed me instead, a long slow kiss that teased my senses.

Lee's voice interrupted us from outside the office. "Luna?"

Jason pulled away. "Good luck with the human."

"I'll probably need it."

Lee and I found Porter sitting on the step leading into his trailer. He looked tired and stressed, and what I could feel of him through the pack connection was just as stretched. The situation had been terrible on his wolf.

He met my eyes. "The stories about human mates were never this bad, were they?"

I pasted on an encouraging smile. "I'm sure it wasn't easy for them either, at the time." I patted Porter on the shoulder. "I'm going to try talking to her again."