Chapter 16

"You ain't got a chance against us!" Michael yelled.

  "Yeah right! I think you are still confusing the words win and lose." Shane called back.

  "No, I think I have them right. Our team wins and your team loses."

  "I was right, you do have them confused."

  It had been like this the entire game. The two teams calling out insults to each other, joking around. I thought that it was great. Watching all the boys play a game of football, mocking each other and saying that they were going to smash the other team's faces in the ground.

  All the males were playing, well except for Ben's youngest brother, Zane, who was too young, and Ben's grandpa, Edwin, who was too old. They were seperated evenly, the oldest on one side, the second on the other side, the third oldest on one side, the fourth on the other, and so forth. Unfortunately, this left Ben and Shane on the same side. Although, maybe it wasn't a completely bad thing, this way they couldn't 'accidentally' kill each other.

  It was great bonding time not only for the males, but for the females too. We all sat in lawnchairs on the sidelines, sipping sweet tea and gossiping. True, II was not a big fan of gossip, but I was hoping that the conversation would go to what happened between Ben and Shane.

  "You are so delusional Shane! We're going to win, even if you have Mr. Mighty Quaterback on your team!" Michael called back to Shane.

  "Then why don't we bet on it?" Shane challenged.

  "Okay then. What do you propose?"

  "I propose, the winner, gets a kiss."

  Michael one on of those laughs that aren't real, but more like laughing in someone's face. "I'm sorry bro, but I don't roll like that." All the boys on Michael's team hooted and hollered.

  By now, they had everyone's attention.

  "I didn't mean from you, moron!"

  "Then who?" A smirk had settled on Michael's face.

  "Eliza."

  As soon as my name came out of his mouth, I grew stiff. No. No, he did not actually say that, it was just my imagination. As much as I wanted to believe myself, I knew that it wasn't true. He had said my name.

  When I nervously glanced up to see everybody else's reaction, I saw that all eyes were on me.

  Great. How come it always seemed to be me who got in these types of situations?

  "I don't think that's a g-" Michael was cut off by another voice.

  "No."

  Thank God Ben came to my rescue.

  "Why not Ben? Afraid that she'll leave you for one of us?" Shane had already prepared for this.

  "No." I could practically feel Ben tense up.

  "I thought you wou-"

  This time it was Ben who threw the first punch. It landed square in Shane's jaw.

  Before Shane could throw one back in return though, Michael and Kyle held him back.

  "Boys!" Arnold called out to the two, "why are you fighting? You're on the same team!"

  "That asshole named Sha-"

  "Ben!" Arnold scolded. "We all know what Shane did. And I believe that he owes you and Eliza both an apology for it." Arnold looked pointedly at Shane.