Chapter 24

Before I start with this chapter, I would like to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY ZAYN!!!!!!!!!!! lolz xD and I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!! lolz xD hehehehe <3 (dont judge, i have an obsession) and also, sorry that i didnt update sooner, i was grounded -_-  grrr but anyways, here's the next part, and make sure that you like tell Zayn happy birthday on facebook or twiiter or something!!! hehehe xD xoxo, Lexzie

  I was quiet for a moment.

  "How do you know?" My voice was almost quieter than a whisper.

  Heather sighed. "There's something that happened that you don't know about. It's the answer to probably all the questions you've had about us." I couldn't help rolling my eyes at the first part of this. Obviously there's something that happened that I don't know about. Heather continued on, "Ben didn't want anyone to tell you, but I feel that it's necessary for you to know now."

  My eyebrows raised involuntarily. Was I finally goin to get an answer to the mystery?

  "Okay..." I trailed off.

  "About two years ago, Ben was dating this girl named Ashleigh Hartfield."

  Ashleigh Hartfield? The name rung a bell. Wait...

  "Wasn't she that girl that went to my school before she comitted suicide?"

  Although I hadn't attended Crest Lake High at the time she had, I still knew of her. It was impossible not to. There has been a memorial for her at the school every year since, and she is always being talked about. However, nobody knew why she had truly comitted suicide.

  Solemnly, Heather nodded. Then she continued, "Well, one night, Ben had invited her to stay the night at our place since her folks were out of town. She agreed. When Ben left her alone so that he could take a shower- you know how he's weird that way, he almost never takes showers in the morning- Shane somehow lured her into his room. When Ben couldn't find her, he searched the entire house, eventually he asked each one of us if we've seen her. Soon, he found himself at Shane's room. nside, he found both of them in Shane's bed. Ben left, and didn't come back home until he heard that Ashleigh had killed herself. In the note she left, Ashleigh said that Shane had raped her. But there wasn't any eviddence that he had. Ever since, Ben hasn't brought a girl home. That's why you're so special to us." After saying this mouthful, Heather took a sip of coffee.

  Wow. That certainly is a lot to take in.

  "So Ben knows that she was raped then?"

  "He read the letter, but I'm not sure what he believes."

  Something about this was troubling me.

  "But..."

  "Yes?" Heather asked when I didn't finish.

  "But why would you, Shane's mother, believe that he actually raped Ashleigh?"

  "Well," she started off, matter-of-factly, "when Arnold and I adopted him-"

  "Wait. Shane is adopted?" This was deffinitely news to me.

  "Yes. All of the boys are adopted."

  "Then why do they all look like?" I blubbered.

  "Oh, dear," Heather chuckled half-heartedly, "Arnold and I do that on purpose. We figured tha tit would be best if they all looked some-what like each other."

  "Oh." I know, it must have sounded really stupid, but it was all that I could come up with.

  "Anyways, Arnold and I both knew that Shane's parents had some-what of a criminal backround. We were just hoping that he hadn't inherited it or been around it so much that he thinks it's wight instead of wrong. But apparently he has. Plus, Ashleigh was such a sweet girl. I could never see her doing something like that. Espiecially to Ben. They were so in love." Heather sighed, and looked out the window.

  Oh. Well I most certainly wasn't expecting this. This was the answer to all of my questions. Well, except for...

  "But why are you so obsessed with me and Ben?"

  Heather blushed, and then I realized that I had voiced my thoughts. Oops! Hopefully Heather won't be offended, espiecially with how I phrased it.

  "Does it really seem that way? Like I'm obsessed?" She didn't sound mad, thankfully, but rather worried instead.

  My cherry-red clush matched hers.

  "Oh no! I-"

  "Arnold doesn't want a girl."

  What does that have to do with anything? My puzzled expression must have tipped off Heather, for she explained.

  "Like almost every other girl, when I was younger I always wanted to have a baby girl when I got married. But Arnold doesn't want one. In fact, he's practically forbidden me from adopting one. But if you and Ben..." she trailed off, obviously implying something, then continued, "then I could have the daughter I've always dreamed of." She looked at me, and her eyes practically screamed 'You!' at me. "And if you and Ben ever have a child, then i could possibly have a baby girl too, even if she's my grand-daughter." Heather was blushing even redder now. She took a sip of her coffee for an excse to break our eye contact.

  Awe! I had always thought that Heather was creepy in that sense, but her story was actually cute!

  "But Zandy and Michael...?" I wasn't trying to make Heather even more uncomfortable than she already is, I'm just honestly curious.

  "They've already made it very clear that they want to be more developed in their careers before having children." After saying this, she shifted uncomfortably in her seat.

  "Oh." This time, I sounded thoughtful.

  In reply, she only nodded.

  My thoughts wandered back to what had happened between Ben and Ashleigh. No wonder Ben had seemed so broken when he saw me next to Shane that morning. Something like that happening once, yikes! But twice, and that's something totally different.

  "Do you really think that I should take this to court?" My voice was barely audible even to my own ears.

  "Of course! What Shane did is wrong, you can't just let him get away with that! Goodness, I don't want what happened to Ashleigh to happen to you too! Do what Ashleigh never got to do."

  I knew what I had to do.