Chapter 23

Friday!

  Although I was excited that the end of the week was finally here, I was too tired to get out of bed.

  Seeking motivation, I reached over beside me to the bedside table, and turned on the radio. I felt my mind drift with the music, and pretty soon, I was getting ready.

  School was boring, as usual, and nothing much happened during the day. Though I couldn't say that for after school.

  Outside, I began walking to my car, but stopped at the sight of a group of guy jocks circled around someone. Quickly, I made my way over to them.

  "Hey!" I said, as another voice said, "You guys!"

  At the sight of myself and the mystery man, the crowd quickly dispersed. In the middle of where the crowd had been gathered, was Katie, looking frightened and on the verge of tears.

  "Katie! Oh my God, what was that?"

  Now she did break into tears. I yanked her into my arms.

  When my eyes drifted up, Ben was right there, in front of me. I took in a deep breath, then let it out. It's okay. I can handle this.

  Once Katie calmed down, I held her out at arm's length.

  "Better?"

  She nodded. "I don't know what that was. They just suddenly circled around me, and saying rude things, and..." Her voice wavered, and she broke into sobs again.

  "It's okay, you don't need to talk about it if you don't want to."

  Katie buried her head into my neck. I stroked her hair, until she was calm again. She moved a little, and I let go of her. Wiping her nose with the sleeve of her shirt, she smiled at me. I returned the favor.

  A man cleared his voice behind Katie. Startled, we both looked at him. It was Ben. I hadn't realized that he had stayed.

  "Are you okay Katie?" He asked her, he was genuinely concerned.

  Quickly, she turned her surprised expression into a poker face.

  "Yeah, I'm fine." She replied nonchalantly.

  Ben's eyebrows raised. Even though she had been crying seconds ago, she seemed perfectly fine now.

  "Are you sure? Do you want me to talk to the guys?"

  "I highly doubt that's necessary." Katie jutted out her hip, then crossed her arms.

  I suppressed a grin. Katie was such a good friend.

  "I believe there's someone more important to talk to than 'the guys'." At this, both Ben's and my mouth dropped. Did she really just say that?

  Ben set his jaw, locked his eyes with mine, then replied. "Maybe so. But I don't think I want that." Then he walked away.

  Frustration boiled inside me.

  "What a jerk!" Katie voiced my thoughts aloud.

  Trying to control myself, I concentrated on taking deep breaths.

  We both stood there for a few minutes, before I made the educated decision that it was time for me to go. If I stay at the scene of the crome for much longer, then I feel as if I might explode.

  "Listen, I think I should go now. But I'll have my phone on me if you want to get in touch."

  "Okay, I'll see you later, Eliza."