Chapter 20

Jogging around the park was something that I have never done before. But what better time to start than now? It's not like I have much of anything else to do anyways.

  While I was jogging, I distracted my out-of-fit body by listening to the i-heart radio app on my phone.

  I was on what, my third lap? When the song Red by Taylor Swift came on. At that, I sat down on the nearest bench, and listened. The lyrics connected with me. Trying to forget Ben is blue, and being all alone is grey. And most of all, loving him was red.

  I stood up. No, I can't think like that. Just because I'm not still together with the guy that I thought I was in love with doesn't mean that I need to mope around and be depressed all day. Maybe this was good. It's been a while since I've done stuff for me anyways. This is just wjat I need.

  I did two more laps, then stopped. My legs feel like jelly, and I'm panting like a dog. Deffinitely time to stop.

  There was someone standing in front of me. I could see his black, uber-expensive tennis shoes, and he was shading me from the sun. Looking up, I saw someone that I wouldn't have expected.

  "Hey, what's up?"

  "Justin!" I jumped up and hugged him. "Oh my God, I've missed you. I was just hanging with Brooke and Zandy the other day though."

  He chuckled. "Yeah, I know. And I've missed you too. So you wanna go grab a coffee or something?"

  "Sure!"

  I was excited.  had missed my little brother, and this was a really great surprise.

  Soon we were both at the nearest Starbucks. I had a chai latte, and he had some sort of funky thing that I had never heard of before.

  "So, how are things with you?" I asked.

  "Good. Things with Brooke are going real well. I think that I may be in love with her." He admitted.

  I raised my eyebrows. "Wow, that's big."

  "I know, it's just, I don't know nevermind."

  I smiled, "I know what you mean. Don't worry."

  There was an uncomfortable silence after that.

  "You know, Ben's pretty devastated at what happened."

  I sighed. I was hoping that our conversation wouldn't change to this direction.

  "I really don't want to talk about this now."

  "Okay. I just thought that you should know, that you're not the only one whose heart was broken."

  I looked down at my cup. That may be true, but this is how things are supposed to be. Ben and I were never meant to be. We didn't even know each other until I was the victim of a dare. And the wrong one as well I should add.

  "Okay. Thanks."

  He nodded, still looking solemn.

  "So how have you been?" I asked quickly, not wanting to let the awkward silence grow too long.

  "Pretty good. Things have been pretty boring at the house. It's just like things were before." He sighed.

  I knew that he was just being honest answering my question, and he hadn't intended bring up the topic again, but I still felt a weight drop on my chest. This wasn't fair. Why does everything else have to be ruined just because Ben and I aren't together anymore?

  We chatted for a while longer, but then Justin had to depart. He was meeting Brooke at some restaraunt for lunch.

  "Well you kids hae fun!"  shouted to him, as he made his way to his car.

  "You know, we're not that much younger than you!"

  "Yeah, but you're still my younger brother!"

  He just smiled, then jumpwed into his car, and was off. I went over to my own car, then followed him out of the parking lot.  

  I don't know why, but I had a strange urge to read Twilight by Stephanie Meyer. It was my favorite book in the series, where the love was fresh and new, the best time of a relationship. I don't know why I just suddenly felt the need to read it, but I did. So, I scanned my bookshelves until I found the shelve where the Twilight series and other vampire books were held, then grabbed the first one.

  I dropped onto my bed, and began to read. By the time my eyes grew weary from staring at pages for too long, it was 5:30. Not bad.

  I marked my place in the book with a piece of paper, then headed downstairs to get something to eat. I had skipped lunch, and now it was almost dinner time. Might as well just eat now.

Not seeing anything that looked good in the refridgerator, I decided that it would be nice to treat myself.

  Next thing I know, I was in line at my favorite burger joint. I ordered a hamburger and a chocolate milkshake.

  Sitting down in my own booth by myself actually wasn't as bad as it sounds. I eavesdropped on other people's conversations, then made up stories about what they were talking about, and what had happened. It was pretty fun. Some of the stories I made up were so far-fetched, it took all  I had to keep me from spitting my milkshake all over the place in laughter.

  Now it was 6:47, and the people behind the counter were giving me dirty looks for staying so long. Oh well, I was the customer they could wait. Plus, the sign outside said that they didn't close until 9:00. And I was still drinking my second chocolate shake.

  Soon though, I was finished with that, and then went to the trash can and threw it away. Heading out, I thought about my first date. We had gone to the exact same place. There was nothing too extraordinary about it, except the fact that it was my first date.

  Back at my house, I decided to make it an early night. I changed into leggings and a t-shirt, then jumped into bed. I was asleep in a matter of minutes.