Chapter 19

"Wh-wha-what do you mean?" I stammered.

  "Eliza! I'm not stupid! I see the big scar on you're head, and it's obvious that you have a few hickeys since you've been wearing turtlenecks since the night Ben broke up with you. I put the pieces together." Then she mumbled something like, "well, that and Shane's history anyways..."

  It was too much. I broke down into sobs.

  "Eliza, it's okay."

  Zandy was about to sit down next to me, but then stopped when she remembered the big mess that I had made. Quickly, she cleared a spot, then sat down.

  She comforted me until I was just hiccuping.

  "Eliza, the only way that things will get better is if you can get it all out."

  "B-b-bu-but I can't"

  "Why not?"

  B-b-because Sh-Sh-Sh-Sh"

  "Shane?" She asked, helping me out.

  I nodded, as I furiously wiped away tears. But it was pointless. Because more just filled the old one's spots.

  "What about Shane?" Zandy guided me back to the topic.

  "He, he, he s-sa-said that if, if, I-I-I-I" I was stuttering, but I couldn't stop it, "t-t-told any-any-anyone, th-th-that h-he w-would m-m-m-m-make sure th-that B-B-B-B-B-B-Ben and I-I-I-I w-w-w-w-would n-n-n-never s-s-s-see ea-ea-each-other..."

  I didn't even attempt to finish what I was saying. It was pointless. The tears were coming faster now. It would be pointless to try to say anything else.

  I buried my head into Zandy's shoulder, and she stroked my hair. Just like Ben would if he were here.

  "Eliza," now Zandy's voice was firm, and she sounded as if she knew what she was doing. I payed close attention to what she said, "you need to tell me exactly everything that happened. From the start. Okay? I can help you, but I need to know what happened. Do you think that you can do that?"

  I nodded my head. And then everything came out. And I mean everything. I started from how Ben and I had met, and ended at what happened last night. Zandy was a perfect listener. She didn't interrupt once, but just listened patiently, and nodded at the right times.

  When I was finished, she asked if I wanted her to stay with me for the rest of the day. I told her that it was okay, she could just leave, but she didn't pay attention.

  Instead, she just took one of the suitcases from my room- i hadn't unpacked at all- and loaded it in her vehicle. Then she ordered me to get inside. I obeyed, and soon we were off.

  Zandy explained that it would be nice to have a girl's spa day at her house, free of boys and drama. I agreed. That was deffinitely something that I could use.

  When we arrived at Zandy's house (she wass still living with her parents until her wedding day) i was surprised to find Brooke already there, waiting for us.

  We spent the day giving each other manis and pedis, as well as creating our own home-spa, and giving each other facials and massages. We even died pink streaks in Brooke's hair, and one in mine. Zandy would have too, but her hairstylist would kill her with the wedding coming up soon.

  It was a fun day. We never once said a word about boys, but only complained about work and told each other our most embarrassing stories.

  That night we had a sleepover, it was the first one I've had in a while, and for the first time since I've gotten home, I had a good night's rest.

  In the morning, Zandy drove me back home, and made me promise that I would take better care of myself again. She hated seeing me look so pathetic and vulnerable.

 After I had taken my bubble bath and had dried off, my phone began buzzing. I had no clue who could be calling, I mean, I'm not all that popular, and Addie and Katie weren't sure when I would be back home, so they had agreed to not call me, and just wait until we returned to school again.

  Hmmm, I snatched it off the bedside table, and answered without looking at the screen.

  "Hello?"

  There was a honking in my ear. "Congratulations, you have been selected for a free cruise-"

  I hit the end button, and began laughing like an idiot. I believed this to be extremely hilarious for some reason, but I just laughed and laughed. It's probably good for me anyways. With all the moping around I've been doing lately, I could deffinitely use some fun.

  After that, I shoved my phone into the bottom of my underwear drawer, not wanting to let it distract me, and I turned on the radio. I danced to whatever song came on, even if I hated it, and I kept going until I was out of breath. I hadn't danced liked that since I was 14. But it was nice, I liked it. Maybe I would do it more often.

  Then I decided that even if I wasn't expecting any company, I could still look nice. I played dress up with all my new clothes that Heather and given to me. It was loads of fun, and it made me feel like a princess.

  Soon I felt myself grow tired of changing and undressing constantly, so I decided to wear the outfit that I had on, and then I did my hair. After hair came make-up. Soon, it looked as if I were ready to walk the red carpet.

  "Ooh-la-la." I said to myself in the mirror while I twirled a piece of my bangs around my finger.

  I giggled furiously. Acting like a six-year old again was the perfect cure to a heartbreak. Way better than indulging in candy.

  I twirled around in my dress, then went downstairs to find a snack. I ate a nutrition bar, then gulped down a glass of milk. Yummy.

  Soon I was again left with the question what do I do?

  Conceitednous got the best of me, and I began to take pictures of myself with my phone. I did different poses, pouted my lips, everything that was expected. And if I may say so myself, some of those pictures turned out pretty dang good.

   I realized then, that I had not watched one of my episodes since I had left for California. The thoughts of watching the latest episodes of Gossip Girl and Glee filled me with delight.

  Before I could give it a second thought, I was downstairs, in the living room, and looking up my shows on On Demand.

  By the time the last show I felt like watching was over, it was already 9:30. Not a bad time to go to bed. Swiftly, I changed out of my dress-up clothes, and changed into my pjs. Then I was in bed.

  But that night, instead of dreaming only about Ben, I dreamed about all the things I was grateful for. Like my two bestest friends  Addie and Katie, and my sisters Zandy and Brooke, and the time that I did have with Ben.

  The next morning when I woke up, I wasn't heartbroken anymore. True, I will probably never be able to get over Ben, but I was just grateful that I had time with him at all. And that was enough. It meant more to me than anything in the world. And that is what matters.