Chapter 22

I took in a deep breath. This was going to take a lot of courage.

  I walked into the room for the second time in my life.

  They were in the middle of a song, so I waited. I knew this song. I must have played it with one of my other orchestras before.

  When the song was over, a violist coughed, then looked in my direction. Signaling to the coductor, or Ms. Rose, that there was a visitor.

  "Eliza?" Ms. Rose looked honestly surprised.

  The last time I was here wasn't such a pleasant experience. Ms. Rose had hears all about me through the orchestra teacher grapevine, and had tried to convince me to join Crest Lake High's chamber orchestra. But I didn't sway with my decision. Our last encounter may have invovled a little yelling on my part, I admit.

  "Um, Ms. Rose, I was wondering if I could have a minute with you?"

  "Sure Eliza." Then she turned back to address the orchestra, "Everybody, I will be back shortly."

  We walked out into the hallway so that we could talk in private.

   "What can I do for you Eliza?" Her voice was strict and business-like. Although I knew that was not the real Ms. Rose.

  "Um, well I was wondering... if you still have room in the chamber orchestra..."

  "Yes?"

  "Well, I was wondering if I could have an audition."

  She looked genuinely surprised. "Oh! Well of course."

  She smiled warmly at me. Thank God, I thought that she was going to be so POed at me that she would flat out refuse me.

  "Really?" Now I was excited. All the jitters that I had had when I had walked in floated away. This was great.

  "Sure. But I'm sure that you'll want some time to prepare. You may be a little rusty from not playing for so long." She added a knowing smile as she said this last bit.

  "Yeah, I suppose so." I blushed. Usually, nobody would ever question my playing. This was certainly new to me. But I would have to get over it. That was a part of being in orchestra, you had to have a thick skin with all the criticism you receive. 

  "So how about this, I give you the pieces we are playing, you practice and learn the parts on your own, and then we'll have your audition next week on Tuesday."

  "Sounds good!"

  "Okay. And if you need help, then you can always come and find me. I will be more than willing to help."

  "Thank-you Miss. Rose."

  I was so excited that I was actually bouncing a little up and down on my feet.

  I followed her into the classroom, then she gave me the parts, for first violin I noticed, and then invited me to stay and listen.

  It reminded me of being at the symphony with Ben. Surprisingly, this didn't unnerve me. It actually soothed me a little.

  I imagined his presence next to me, whispering into my ear.

  The period was over too fast.

  As I was walking out, Ms. Rose called to me, "And Miss Holland."

  "Yes?" I stopped in my tracks.

  "You may want to make friends with some of the other violinists before your audition."