Burning Building

Brace yourselves and don't hate me

Five POV

I paced nervously around the bookshelves, waiting to meet y/n, hoping that she was alive and on her way. The library was almost empty, just a few university students studying, and a few old women sat in a circle discussing Little Women.

I decided that I would wait by the entrance and tell y/n my plan about the eye and Meritech, but as I was walking down the stairs, I saw y/n limping up, a bandage wrapped around her head. I quickly ran to her and embraced her.

“Are you okay? What happened to your head?” I asked hurriedly.

She chuckled, “Five, love, I’m fine, Hazel just hit me around the head with a mace and I got knocked out for about half an hour.”

“Half an hour! A mace-” I felt my voice rise after every word.

“Shhhh.”

“Shut up Karen, my partner in crime is worried about me!” Y/n shouted aggressively at the librarian who shushed me, which resulted in us getting kicked out, “Sorry.”

I shrugged, “It was too quiet in there anyway.”

Y/n laughed. She had a wonderful laugh, a type of laugh that was contagious and, even if the joke was bad, make you laugh anyway.

“Y/n, I have a plan…” I interrupted her.

“Okay, do tell.” She said, intrigued.

“We’re going to find Dr Meritech and force him to tell us who he sold the eye to…” I told her.

“So, are we talking about aggressive threat type force, or just straight up torture?” She asked, and I wasn’t surprised.

“We’ll see which way it goes darling, but we need to find our van first.”

“Oh my god, we left Delores and Anthony alone… oh god, they’re probably… you know.” She wiggled her eyebrows at me.

“Oh please, I don’t need to know that!” I shouted and punched her arm, and we headed towards Meritech.

Y/n POV.

“After you.” Five opened the door and gestured for me to go in the van. I smiled at him and climbed inside to the passenger’s seat.

I glanced at the clock on the radio and noticed that it was 1am, suddenly an overwhelming tiredness washed over me, and my eyes began to droop. Five noticed and clambered into the back of the van. There was a lot of clattering and moving around.

Once the noise stopped, I looked around to see a few blankets and rolled up jumpers set on the floor to create a type of sleeping area. I noticed Delores and Anthony tucked up in the corner and I gave them a smile.

I looked at Five who was smiling at me and I climbed in the back to give him a hug. I looked back at him.

“Thank you.” I said, our faces inches apart.

“I love you.” Five smiled.

“I love you too.”

I closed the gap between us, and I felt him smirk against my lips. Our lips moved in sync and fit together like pieces of a jigsaw. I parted my lips slightly and felt Five’s tongue slip into my mouth. The kiss probably only lasted for a minute, but it felt like a lifetime, but tiredness took over and my legs began to give way.

Five caught me before I dropped to the floor.

“I think you may need to get some sleep.” He chuckled.

I wanted to respond, but my eyes began to close, and I drifted off into a deep sleep.

I awoke to a gentle shake on my shoulder, “Y/n, he’s here, we need to go.”

I slowly opened me eyes and saw Five’s face, his eyes were soft, but his jaw was clenched.

“Okay…” I slurred and slowly stood up.

I grabbed Delores and Anthony and looked out of the window. I saw a man in a blue tracksuit carrying an adorable dog I his arms.

Once he got into the car, Five grabbed my hand and teleported us into his car, Five in the front passengers seat, and I was in the backseat. I looked at the dog on the floor and petted it.

“AH!” I heard Mr Meritech shout, “Jesus!”

Five pulled out a pocketknife and held it to his neck. I smirked, don’t get me wrong, I love Five when he’s affectionate, but there’s about Five being a psycho that made me even more attracted to him.

“One chance, you’ve got one chance to tell me what’s going on in that lab!” Five spat.

“I-I manufacture prosthetic devices for fake patients.” He spoke quickly, I laughed at how scared he was, “I bill the insurance companies and then sell them for cash on the black market.”

“Including eyeballs?” I asked, the man looked at me, surprised.

“Yeah, they’re my biggest seller.” He glanced at me, “I mean, they sell like hotcakes. I’ve got a list, a waiting list, of probably 20- 20 buyers.”

“So, the serial number I told you…” Five pressed the knife a little harder against his throat.

“I-it could’ve been bought already. Yes…yes- off the books…” Mr Meritech stumbled on his words.

“We need that list Mr Meritech…” I glared at the man.

“Names and numbers, and we need it NOW.” I could tell that Five was almost at his breaking point, so I placed a hand on his shoulder; I felt it relax slightly.

“I don’t have it. I mean, not now, not on me. The only copy is in the safe at the lab.”

“Start the car then.” I sit back in my seat and pet the dog again.

“O-okay…”

Five took the knife away from his throat and sat back down. He glanced at me and I saw a smile tug at the corner of his lips.

He started the car and we drove towards the lab.

When we got closer, we noticed the smoke in the air. Five and I jumped out and saw that it was in flames.

“SHIT!” Five shouted just as it exploded and threw us back onto the pavement.

I stood up slowly.

“I’m going in…” I said quietly.

“What?”

“I’m going in!” I shouted and before Five could stop me, I was running towards the burning building.

As I entered the crumbling office, I instantly regretted my choice. I may be fireproof, but that won’t protect me from the collapsing roof.

It happened so fast, I couldn't even feel the pain.

I am so so sorry.