Surprise

Lan Zhan had studied the techniques that the old Master of the daycare had taught him with a zeal that could only be remanence of Lan Zhan. He was determined to get Wei Ying to learn the history, it would be very important, not...really for any reason other than the fact that he wanted to get the other to learn about them, but in any case he was certain that it would help him later on in life. It was never a good thing when one had such a vast gap within their education, especially not when being a part of the martial world. If he were just a commoner not one person would look twice, but he was not.

Because this duty fell to Lan Zhan, he did what he often did, and took this extremely seriously. He needed a way that the information would stick with him, and while Lan Zhan was many things, he was not strict enough to not turn to alternative potential measure to get the other to learn. He had a wild spirit and was incredibly energetic, the standard way of simple lectures would not work, and Lan Zhan wanted to help the boy, not hinder him. Not to mention, this was somewhat more than that.

He wanted the Wei Ying that came before the Jiangs on the fateful day to be a different Wei Ying from the one that they had left the Lotus Pier with. He could tell that Wei Ying was not entirely changing, not completely. It was more that he was shifting the titles about. Instead of obeying Jiang Cheng he obeyed him now. It left him with a heady feeling, and a sense of dread. He did not really know how to command someone, and his own emotions were always so tightly wound up anyways. Still, it was a good thing. Wei Ying was beginning to break out of his shell, granted I t was not much, and Lan Wangji doubted that it would be anytime soon before he was totally comfortable with anyone other than himself, Lan XiChen, and Lan SiZhui and Jingyi, but even still, he would look forwards to that day with a sense of anticipation.

It was an uphill battle. Lan Wangji had known that it would be. Teaching sect history and politics was never fun, and there was only so much that a person could do to try and make it interesting enough for someone as high spirited as Wei WuXian. Though he did try to hide it more often than not, Lan Wangji noticed when the boy old get tired, or bored, or restless. It was mostly his fear which was keeping him in check, something that really ripped Lan Wangji apart. He wondered if Wei Ying would ever truly manage to get over that, resolved himself to trying and ensure that it would happen. He did not want Wei Ying to be haunted by the memories of the past, and would much rather let him enjoy the present.

Which may have been seen to others as a bit contradictory, especially since Lan XiChen and Lan Wangji both intended to have Wei WuXian testify against the Jiang Clan, most specifically Jiang Wanyin, but even still, that would only prove this information more and more useful. To Wei Ying, when it was inevitably time for him to take the stand, he would know what to say, and how to craft the story, but he wondered...a little bit, if Wei Ying truly wanted to do so. To get back at the Jiangs, that gleam in his eyes said yes, but sometimes Lan Wangji doubted it.

It was not always, but he had noticed it once when they had dined with XiChen, and the conference had been brought up. Wei Ying had seemed to deflate like poisoned flower. It was not something that he particularly liked to see and Wangji had swiftly but definitely not subtly steered the conversation in a total different direction. If there was one thing that was becoming more obvious to XiChen it would be Lan Wangji's protective demeanor over Wei WuXian.

In fact, it was glaringly obvious. Wangji just pushed it aside. It was not until a few weeks later that Wangji and Wei Ying were sitting together as per usual, and XiChen had come over to inform them of the news. It had been a long time in the making after all, and the Sect Leader felt Wei WuXian should know.

"So," XiChen began, pausing a bit, unable to stop but finding himself a little bit nervous. "I set a date. that is, for the conference against the Jiang Clan." Wei Ying perked up, his eyes turning to XiChen, from where before they were gazing studiously at a book which he had snatched for Lan Wangji the moment that the Sect leader had marched into the room.

"When, brother?" Lan Wangji asked, tilting his head to the side. XiChen sighed.

"In a week from now." Wei Ying inhaled sharply, but otherwise did not say anything.

"Wei WuXian does not have to be present for the entire conference, it would take too long, and Uncle suspects it could take up to a week at best." XiChen glanced over at Wei Ying who was gazing around the room, looking at everything other than the robed white person before them. "That is why it was decided that Wei WuXian would testify the first day, then you will bring him back to the Cloud Recesses. Both for his sanity, and his safety." Wei Ying finally shot his eyes up to the Leader.

"In a week?" He asked, his voice slightly unsteady. XiChen nodded.

"It will take place in Qinghe." He said gently. Wei Ying swallowed, his breath coming out in slight pants. he stood abruptly, almost knocking over the table before darting out of the room.

XiChen and Wangji watched him leave. Lan XiChen had made a move to go after the youth, not wanting to risk him wandering about alone, but Wangji stood before his brother barring his path, keeping him from running after him.

"Don't," He said simply. XiChen understood. After all, Wangji knew Wei WuXian much more than he did, and he knew Wangji.