part 27

Lan XiChen watched as his brother rushed after Wei Ying a small smile curving on his lips. not because he was glad that Wei Ying was worried and anxious, he was not a monster. He wished that he did not have to ask this of Wei WuXian, wished that he would be able to give the other more time to settle, more time to be ready and prepare himself for this conference. He sighed, turning to walk in the other direction, needing to prepare materials on his end. He knew that Lan Sizhui and Lan JingYi would be more than willing to testify, which he would bank on as well, but first he needed to speak to them about it. He, well, he was definitely worried about Wei WuXian, and despite his desire to turn straight around and check on the other, he also knew that he needed to trust Wangji with this. 

His brother was...different. He had a lot of trouble relating to people. There was a lot of contention sending Wei WuXian without warning to the Cloud Recesses, and he knew that, especially with the coin that he had given him, which still surprised him when Wei WuXian had returned it. He had not believed it right for him to take it, though he had not managed to explain why it was exactly, he had still returned it with a smile, which only proved to Lan XiChen that he was deserving of the protection of Gusu. Whatever protection that they could give him. 

Despite it all, he was quite glad that his brother was able to take Wei WuXian in, and although he knew that the other had quite the reservations in the beginning, and he himself had been worried about how Wangji would react, he was pleased to say it would seem as though the other were friends...at the very least. Which was a relief, as he was really hoping that Wangji would be able to make friends with someone for the past few years. He had been quite worried about his social exclusion. 

Granted perhaps making friends with a victim of the horrific abuse that the Jiang's had shoved him through was not the...most ideal choice of a first friend, it was better than no friend whatsoever. From what Lan XiChen could see, this friendship was good for both Wei WuXian and Wangji as well. Though they may try and hide it, XiChen knew his brother. The young boy was going through such extents for Wei WuXian, and though he was not entirely sure whether or not the other boy realized it yet, he knew that eventually he would come to the realization of how he saw the younger boy. For now, he was more than content to watch the two. It was...heartwarming. Both knowing that Wei WuXian had someone who he could rely on, and that Wangji would be willing to help Wei Ying. The two...were inseparable. For all they may play otherwise, XiChen knew that they were bound to rock the cultivation world to its core and flip the entirety of what it meant to be a cultivator on its side and tear it apart before rebuilding it. How it wold happen, why it would happen, and whether that was a good thing or a bad thing, XiChen did not know, but he did not really want to dwell tooo much on that. 

"SiZhui," The younger lan boy rushed to a stop, turning to gaze at him with big eyes. 

"Sir," SiZhui bowed hastily, eyes dropped to the floor hastily. Lan XiChen sighed. It had been years and yet even still the boy was so hesitant. He had been working with him for quite some time, but for some reason, no matter how much he reassured SiZhui that he did not have to be so formal with him, it was a fruitless fight. He gave the other a small smile. 

"I was wondering if you and Lan Jingyi would be willing to speak out at the conference a week from now." SiZhui looked up, shock colouring his features. 

"S-Sir? Y-You want Jingyi, and I to..." He gave a small smile, something...warm about it. It let XiChen relax slightly, knowing that the other saw this as an honor and not something to be anxious about. He was somewhat worried he would have a similar reaction to Wei WuXian. Though, he had been trying to explain to Wei Ying that they would give him more time if he truly needed it, it was fallen to deaf ears. The other would not have it claiming it was too much of an inconvenience and had pressed him to choose the best time possible without bothering to state what he thought of everything. "I would love to, I shall check with JingYi, and let you know before the night's end, but I am certain that JingYi would be more than willing as well." XiChen gave the other a soft smile, but stopped moving past the other at the hesitant voice that called out his name. 

"Yes?" He questioned. "What is it?" He stared at the hesitant younger lan. 

"I was just...Have you told Wei WuXian yet?" XiChen gave a slightly more strained smile than the one which he had given previously. 

"I have, as a matter of fact," 

"How did...How did he take it? I mean, I do not mean to pry of course, but...Jingyi and I have been, somewhat concerned for him as of late. We understand that Lan Wangji is doing his best, and we applaud his efforts to educate Wei WuXian on the sect histories, and we know that it will come in handy, but even still. It...It is bound to be harsh on him." 

Something about that warmed him. He was glad that Wei Ying had people within the sect that was more than willing to check in and stand up for him. More so than just Wangji. He knew that it was important, and it would be more important as the conference drew closer. 

"Wangji has gone to check in on him, however, if you and JingYi would like, I am certain he could use more company." He said, joy in his eyes. SiZhui lit up and nodded, thanking him before hastily making his way as fast as the rules would technically allow to wherever JingYi was likley to be.

He just hoped everything would truly be okay with the most fragile of their members.