Crew (Ch. 14)

"Lester... Lester!"

Lester screamed on the other end as I entered the apartment I purchased two weeks prior. This apartment was the only one that wasn't on the market. Thanks to the plumbing and electrical.

"Lester... I'm aware that we have a meeting later today. I'll be there like I told you before. Dammit."

One of the pipes broke, and water was slowly leaking through the faucet. With a groan, I close the water again.

Y/N: "Listen, Lester. I need a bit more time to fix a few things... Lester, I'll see you there. Heck, I'll be the first one there."

Turning my back to the kitchen with a deep sigh, I heard someone tapping the side of the door, and I found Fernando, the electrician coming out of the master's room. The older man was breathing heavy, much more than his skinny body would show.

"Sènior?"

I spoke Spanish to the man, and he smiles pleased, thankful that he wasn't using English.

Fernando: "I fixed the problem, and it shouldn't come up again. But if I can suggest one thing, it is maybe rewiring the place. Whoever made this place didn't do a good job."

Y/N: "I know the plumbing is atrocious."

I nodded and thanked the man, paying him his total sum, and then turned back to the new surface of tile he was putting in. While I worked on the pipes on the kitchen sink, my mind was pondering about the outcome of the next job. Was it worth the effort to bring these groups of people together?

While I thought, the phone started to ring. Still, on the floor and his back, he answered his phone.

Y/N: "Hello..."

???: "Well, if it isn't my favorite racer... How are you doing, killer?"

My eyes narrowed as I heard his voice clear as day. Devin Weston.

Y/N: "Devin Weston... How can I help you today?"

Devin: "Easy kid... I'm not looking for trouble. I'm just here. Reminding you that you are blowing up on the nightlife app. Meaning your good for business. Which, is why I've moved up your race to tonight. At the Observatory. Don't be late."

I held the phone so tight that I felt the screen start to crack. But I couldn't deal with this, and I was already running late. It was finally time to meet the new crew. They were waiting for me at Lester's place. You were at a four-way.

Waiting for the light to change, but as it changed and taking a right down another road. A police siren goes off right behind me. Glimpsing into my rear-view mirror, I thought the cops would overtake me or something. Then I heard the loud tones of the siren again.

Police: "Pull over your vehicle."

I glanced up and down in the rear-view mirror.

Y/N: 'Me... What did I do?'

I stopped the car to the side and had my driver's license out. While I waited for the cop to arrive, the sun's bright rays were flashing my eyes, and when the cops finally arrived. The large hulking man had blocked out the sun and was staring me dead in the eyes.

I shook my head, taking a moment to notice his features finally. He appeared to be in his late thirties and had a large bushy mustache and smelt of cigarettes.

Police: "Do you know why I stopped you, sir?"

I shrugged my shoulders and looked around.