Chapter 3: Home in Rome

Hey, Reapers... ;)

Don't forget to add this book to your library so you get all the updates!

Please vote and leave lots of feedback if you love me!!!

***

Alexandru slowed Cruentas down to a trot at the end of the flower field. I looked out into long plots of flat land with neat rows of long grassy plants that appeared to be wheat. It went on forever, and I noticed there were dozens of men scattered in the distance laboring over the wheat in the sweltering heat.

I gave an unexpected yelp as Cruentas took off at full gallop again, the momentum pressing me back into the wall of muscle behind me. He had not said a word the entire ride, which left me to my own chaotic thoughts of what I was supposed to do in this situation, and what Blondie was planning on doing with me exactly. Because the steel grip of his forearm around my waist was starting to feel more and more like shackles than a seatbelt.

The glaring problem at hand was our language barrier, which was the one thing I still felt like I needed to communicate to Death through is memories. The continuation of this memory had been an unexpected surprise, like I was watching a movie play out before me.

I wondered if my presence had disturbed what would happen next, and if there was still a way for Death to recognize he was unconscious without the memory collapsing again. After the last memory and the PTSD flashback of him turning to ash between my fingertips, I'd decided telling him directly what had happened had been the wrong way to go about this. Or at least I would have to make it a last resort and see if somehow worked the second time.

All I knew was this realm felt unstable, and I had no idea how long these memories would play out. Caito had mentioned Death's life was flashing before his eyes, which made me feel pressed for time that this memory wouldn't last very long.

The farmland seemed to go on forever. Alexandru seemed to know where he was going by memory, and I wondered if this land was his. We approached a massive barn, and he slowed Cruentas down again. Alexandru's large hand slid from my stomach to either side of my waist to straighten my spine. He seemed to give me a little shake, which made me aware of just how locked up my entire body had been in fear of falling off the horse.

He gave me another shake, and I lifted my head straight ahead in confusion. This time, he also pressed down on my legs to squeeze my thighs tighter against the saddle and then he taughtened the reigns in his hands. Cruentas slowed down even more, as I fought the urge to elbow him in the side for manhandling me.

He muttered something at my ear that I didn't even bother to understand. All I could focus on was the fact that his hands had gripped my hips, and he appeared to emphasized whatever he was saying. His breath felt so pleasantly warm and a little tingly as it fanned across my cheek.

Then I noticed a little too late that he'd handed me Cruentas' reigns.

Not to mention, he'd let go of me all-together.

Before I could process what was happening, Alexandru hopped off Cruentas while the stallion was still trotting.

My eyes bulged and I gripped the reigns hard.

"Are you fucking––?" I craned my neck of my shoulder, my heart pounding as I saw Alexandru walking directly behind Cruentas. And he was grinning. "Hey! What are you doing? Why are you smiling like that?"

He picked up his pace so that he ran well ahead of me and Cruentas. He turned and faced me and motioned with two fingers toward his eyes for me to watch him. He lowered into a squat with his arms out as though he were saddled and kept his back straight. Then he motioned to his legs and made an inward motion with his hands pulling gently back toward himself.