Chapter 14: Wicked Dark

*Cupcake emojis or black hearts*

Hey!!!!!!! What's NEW?????

Please vote & leave a zillion comments for me to read if you want more! ;)

            As promised, Death's shadow guards dragged me to a cell where there wasn't even an ounce of light. They threw me inside like a sack of potatoes, and since my hands were cuffed in front of me, I barely caught myself as I landed haphazardly on a cot.

"Thanks, gentlemen!" I shouted after them.

Bastards.

I pulled my legs up to my chest in the cold, damp underground area, watching the bars of my cell manifest fully into place as the shadow guard's marched away. Wherever I was, I was alone. The rest of the cells down here were empty, and the only sound was a dripping somewhere from the ceiling.

Sitting up on the bed, I looked down at my arm, where Death's hand had touched my skin. Where he'd tried to wilt me just like the rose. The area of skin was bare with no trace of his black poisonous power seeping into my veins, but I could almost still almost feel his grip on me.

Leaning against the stone wall behind me, I imagined the look on his face as he reeled away from me.

I counted five-hundred drips of water before I started to feel like I was losing my mind. I desperately tried to break the cuffs around my hands, but not even a droplet of my power came through. I to kick in the cell bars a few times and create a weapon from something in my cell, but everything was bolted down.

Finally, I gave up dragged my feet in their chains back to the cot to lay down. I was so tired that I felt loopy, and at least the bedding didn't reek of anything suspicious like Romeo's did.

As I wondered if Romeo was okay, if I would be okay, I lay down on the cot to rest. The anxiety plaguing every fiber of my being and the hunger for food clawing at my insides made impossible to get comfortable. So, I just lay with my eyes open, miserable.

"My, my. How your stomach growls."

I jolted up from the cot in complete awareness, my eyes rapidly searching around my cell. Death's deep, velvety voice had sounded so close. And although I couldn't see him anywhere, I could feel the cold tingly sensation down my spine that he was near.

"Care for a treat?" he asked, the low drone of his voice like a lulling siren's call.

My heart raced as I stood up and faced the front of my cell bars.

"Show yourself," I demanded, the small wobble in my voice distressing.

It was so dark beyond my cell that all I could see was a black void. And then suddenly, with small whispers in the air, Death emerged mid-stride through the void with a low laugh, the outline of his hooded figure a lighter silhouette against the black behind him.

His head tilted up as he strode forward, stopping to stand in front of my cell. Adrenaline slammed into me. His eyes, trapped somewhere between a cat's and a serpent, shimmered with an ethereal glow, the only visible feature of his face I could see. It was almost hypnotic in the dark.

"I thought I might find you miserable down here," Death said, the velvet purr to his voice like a graze of heat against the back of my neck. "However, I see no tears in your eyes. It's quite disappointing. Who broke you, my pet?"

As I stared back his wicked eyes, I felt a small flicker of anger unfurl itself from within me. "I'm not your pet."

"Hmm, but you're in my cage, chained to my leash..." There was a snap of fabric as a candle suddenly lit in my cell, the outline of Death's cloak like a silken black curtain as he dropped his arm back to his side. "You see, everything in this castle belongs to me. Even the flames lighting your eyes."