Chapter 13: The Prince of Darkness

*Extreme Cupcake, skull, or black hearts with keyboard smashing*

Hey!!!!

Please vote & leave feedback if you want more! I can't to read to all your comments!!! ;)

            Sometime later, after many anxious pacing on Romeo's end, he passed out on a small cot. His jester hat dangled snoring loud and breathing heavy, probably from all the alcohol.

I sat in the corner of the cell with my backpack in my hands, feeling very aware of how numb my emotions were. It was a little concerning, considering how in touch I usually was with how I felt. I just knew the jump between Caito being Charon and seeing Ace and then leaving Ace had been far too fast paced for me to process.

Heavy doors creaked open from somewhere above, startling me as it banged closed. Reaching into my backpack, I quickly grabbed a piece of gum and chewed, hoping it would help some with this outrageously quirky outdated dialogue.

As the prisoners scrambled to their feet and the shadows of two tall figures filled the space between the two rows of cells, I felt the gum in my mouth thicken, my jaw wired close. I focused on the otherworldly creatures in armor stood in front of my cell, their faces concealed by black shadow, and the side effects of the gum wore off. I locked my bag and slung it quickly onto my back and tightened the straps.

"I'm guessing you two scary fellas aren't my welcome wagon," I said.

Helvius stepped between the guards with a slight smile. "Before you bring them up, do make sure they're both in cuffs. You never know what she's capable of. Or him, for the matter."

One of the guard's lifted their hand and the cell bars seemed to liquefy, rippling away to create a door for them to walk through.

The one guard marched to Romeo's sleeping form, while the second marched to me and grabbed my arm, hauling me straight off the ground and threw me into the wall without any care for how hard my head rattled from the impact. As I struggled underneath his hand on my back, he took out some sort of intricate device that looked a lot like Romeo's shackles that could deplete people of their powers. Fear speared through me.

"No! Get off of me!" I seethed, trying to shove him away. But when I went to shove him off my hand slid right through his gear like he was a phantom, and my eyes widened.

The guard pressed me against the wall and proceeded to shackle my ankles and my right wrist. I felt an odd sensation inside of me, like the power I had at my beck and call was now no longer there, as my arm fell limp to my side.

"I truly think you should let me sleep a bit longer!" Romeo shouted, and I looked over to see him being slammed against the wall and cuffed him. "I need my beauty sleep or else I'm utter chaos. Trust me, friends. Don't let this lean, stimulating body fool you. I can be quite unpleasant awakened on the wrong side of the bed!"

My guard shackled my other wrist, chaining my two hands together, before dragging us forcefully from the cell.

"Where are they taking us?" I shouted at Romeo, frightened by the creatures howling at us from the cells on either direction.

"Up to Hell's castle, if we're lucky," Romeo answered, dread pooling in my stomach. "If His Highness hasn't already decided our fate, that is. Otherwise, we'll just be tossed into the flames below us."

"Lovely."

"Damn, Helvius. Ever since I made that one small joke about him being the prince's bitch, that twisted elf has been out to get me. And then you pop down here with your big sparkly blue eyes, and he takes the perfect opportunity to end me."