Chapter 10: Freed from the Dark

*LEVITATES UP TO HER PODIUM* HAPPY ZADDI DAY!!!!!!

LMFAOOOO. BEFORE YOU STAR READING! Have you shared this story with your friends?? It helps me so much when you share my works!!! :)

Please take a moment to vote, too! Leave me lots of feedback too, it's my fav part of updating! I love replying to you guys and being a #SILLYGOOSE ! :)

Socials: Instagram/Twitter/Tiktok: katrocks247

Someone was watching me.

I wrenched awake with a sharp inhale, ice filling my lungs.

Night surrounded me, my breath still pumping in and out, while my eyes adjusted to my surroundings. Leaning on the ground with a hand, I slowly stood. My insides felt like heavy lead at what I saw.

Any light of day or mimics of life had been sucked entirely out of the arena. Except for the moon, which cast a bluish hue into the night, just like it had over the Cruscellio's house, when I'd fallen asleep.

I was unconscious.

I stood in the middle of a massive, empty, space at the center of the colosseum, the outlines of the empty stands.

You shouldn't be here. Did Death want me to stop looking for him? My palm pressed against my chest, that phantom sensation of pain a distant thought. Death's corpse had walked right through me, like a ghost.

"His death is not your fault, Alexandru."

I startled at the sound of Malphas' voice, awestricken by the phantom of a memory playing out right on the arena sand. It came to life in a whirl of wind, muted hues of blue color clinging to the air like holograms. Alexandru wore his usual plain tunic, his face filled with sorrow, as he stared blankly into an open grave in the ground. Malphas was walking closer to him from behind, a single flower in his hand.

"Kalace made a choice," Malphas continued, clasping his son on the shoulder. "He exposed himself to the mortals willingly. You cannot save those who do not want to be saved themselves. He wanted to burn."

Alexandru slowly lifted his head at his father's words, his expression unreadable. He shrugged off his Malphas' hand. "You are wrong. Kalace wanted to live to fulfill his father's legacy. Which is why he will come back. "

Malphas looked over at Alexandru for a long moment. "He is dead, Alexandru."

"He used black magic. You saw him bite into Remus' heart––"

"I also saw the little remains of his body. He is dead. Move on."

"Move on?" Alexandru stared at his father in disbelief, tears sliding down his face. "How could you be so cold? Kalace is––was not just a trusted friend. He was family!"

"Nobody is a trusted friend to us. Kalace could have exposed us." Malphas twisted the stem of the flower between his fingers. "Senator Cornelius felt satiated with his execution. He now believes Kalace was manipulating him and you with witchery to gain power. Clearly, the aftermath of what happened could have gone either way with that half-brain idiot."

Alexandru said nothing.

"Kalace used his magic to make it look like he was attacking me," Alexandru insisted. "I think he saved me, father. He will come back. If he does not, Mother will bring him back with an animal, like she did for us. And if she will not... then I will."