Chapter 23: Cake and Milk

Trolling myself by putting this song on the chapter. It's been a minute, I know! But when you all read the manuscript you're going to be like. "Oh, I get it now." LMFAO.

Mother is back, and oh does she have a STORY TO TELL. 

*CUPCAKES rush into the chapter screaming and drop their best pick up line for any character in Death is My BFF*

Don't forget to leave lots of comments and vote if you want more #FADE!!!!

Welp, I was in some deep doo doo now.

"What are you doing in here?" Kalace demanded when I'd yet to respond.

I looked down at Victorian Death's unconscious body on the slab of stone. I still had my hands on either side of his face. His skin was feverous hot, clammy to the touch, and the dark slashes of his brows pinched slightly inward like he was in distress, but his eyelids were closed.

I straightened, quickly withdrawing my hands. "I saw His Highness unconscious in the room. I thought he might, um, need help."

Kalace strode forward, furious. "You had your hands on his face and were talking to yourself. Accusing him of killing you."

Because he had. But hadn't been accusing Victorian Death. I'd been talking to the ghost of Death, my Death, future Death, or whatever I could call him. The apparition was of his corpse that I kept seeing. I really should get a handle on that whole haunted by vindictive Death thing.

Pulling my focus back to Kalace, I rapidly tried to think of a way out of this. "Would you be so surprise if he had killed me? You know how the Prince of Darkness is, carelessly murdering the innocent. Not to mention how he tore into my corset at his dining table. You were there, you saw him almost slay me!"

Slay? Okay, maybe I had to dial it back a little with the word choice.

"And what exactly were you planning on doing now?"

From behind Kalace, Ace made himself known, and my heart skipped a beat. He shook his head at me in a scornful way as he slowly reached for a ceramic pot by the door. As if Kalace sensed someone was behind him, he started to look over his shoulder, when––
"RETRIBUTION!" I screamed like a madwoman. "I was going to snap Death's––" I glanced down at his throat­­–– "thick, corded, rather muscular neck whilst he was slumbering. Yeah, that's right! I would have snapped the Prince of Darkness' neck. And I would have gotten away with it, if not for you meddling...warlock!"

Kalace looked at me as if I'd lost my marbles and little did he know he shared the same expression as his future self too. Right before Ace lifted the pot and smashed it right over Kalace's head. Kalace fell into the door jam and hit the ground with a resounding thud, making Ace.

"I leave you alone for five seconds," Ace began in a fury.

Voices echoed from the hallway outside.

We both froze. Looked down at Kalace's body. Looked down at Death on the stone slab. And then looked at each other.

"Hurry!" Ace whisper yelled. "Help me with the body!"

"Which body!"

"My body­­––I mean, this body. Kalace's body!"

"Well, technically, Ace, it's a memory so it's not really––"

"Get your ass over here!"

I scurried across the stone floor and grabbed Kalace by the feet. But when I went to lift his shoe off the ground, I struggled immensely. Much more than I thought I would.