Chapter 27: Knife and Jester

AYOOO NOT ME WORKING ON A CHAPTER FOR YOU GUYS ON ON MY BIRTHDAY!!!!

NOT ME REALIZING AS I POST THIS IT'S CHAPTER 27 WHICH HAPPENS TO BE MY AGE LOL!!!!! WEIRD.

Drop a vote, comment, and share this story with your friends to give me the best birthday gift ever!!!

I didn't wander far through the hallways of the gloomy castle until I found a group of people hoarding around something curious. I assumed they had all been gathering out here for a while by the way some of them were deep in conversation.

"Heard she had foam at the mouth," whispered a woman with horns protruding from her forehead. "Poisoned, I'd bet. They even got the cook in there to interrogate him."

"Poisoned, only to be mutilated?" added another. "What a sick and twisted act, though I am not surprised around here."

"Excuse me," I said, tapping a man with a curled mustache that was speaking. "What's happened?"

"There's been a murder," said the man, and I remembered that was why Ace had been called away. "I saw a glimpse of her before the sheet was pulled over the body. Poor thing's face was mutilated beyond recognition. By the amount of blood on the floor, I doubt her face were where the wounds ended..."
"Who was she?"

"I believe her name was Cordelia."

My stomach felt like lead. Oh, no. I had to find Romeo.

"Good riddance, I say," muttered the lady who was loosely eavesdropping on our conversation, patting her intricate updo with a dainty hand. "Cordelia was a muddy harlot. She moved from bed to bed in the castle and probably got herself in trouble accordingly. If you ask me, she had it coming."
I stepped up to her, shocked someone would even say that. "Well, nobody asked you, lady, so maybe keep your mouth shut," I said, not even bothering to stick around to see the woman's reaction. It didn't matter what Cordelia did with her body, she was dead. Mutilated. And my heart hurt for Romeo.

I pushed through the crowd of people to find Leo in his black knight armor standing in front of a door.

"Wolf, is Romeo in there? You have to let me through, I­­––"

"I'm sorry, I've been instructed not to let anyone inside this room."

"Petruchio is my friend."

"He's mine, too."

"Then you should be in there consoling him," I argued, getting frustrated.

"Excuse me," said a familiar voice from behind me, as the crowd of persons groaned at another person shoving through. "Get out of my way. Out of my way, I'm the doctor." Ace emerged with a leather bag in his hand, looking frazzled. He saw me and I expected him to brighten at least a little, but he just looked at my dirty gown and groaned.

"She's with me," Ace said to Wolf, laying his hand on my shoulder. "I'll need her aid."

Wolf gave us a judgmental look that Ace seemed to miss as he already had his hand on the door. I felt a little flustered all of the sudden as I remembered how Leo and Wolf had found Ace and I in the herb room. They thought we were hooking up.

"For doctoral things," I felt the need to add.

Ace looked over his shoulder at me and just shook his head, before pushing into the room. Inside, my blood went instantly cold with mortification. Courts people crowding around the edge of the room and a body beneath a crimson-soaked sheet lay on the dining hall table like a sacrifice on an altar. The sight made me sick to my stomach.

"What happened to her?" I asked Ace.

"I don't remember who did it," Ace conceded. "I just know she was ganged up on and attacked. Some kind of disagreement, I suppose."