Chapter 22

1 Month Later...

Mike's P.O.V

"Boss?" Someone asks. 

I turn my head towards my office door and nod for the officer to come in. "Yes?"

"I think I've got a lead on your case. But we have to keep this quiet, just us two can know."

"Okay," I nod. "Show me what you have so far."

Annie's P.O.V

"Order for Mia," I yell. 

The customer thanks me and I continue to make more coffees. Working at the café near Mike's work has been a dream. I can visit him during my breaks and he can visit me.  

"Order for Micheal!" I yell with a smile. I turn to the cashier. "Hey! I'm going to clock out."

Mike grabs the coffee. "Thank you, baby! I got a seat in the back corner."

I nod and run to the back to hang up my apron. I happily skip to Mike's table, and slide into the seat across from Mike. 

"Hi Angel," he says. 

"Hi Mike. How was work?"

"Umm... it was good." I can sense that something is bothering Mike. 

"Are you sure?" He nods. "It seems like something is bothering you."

"No. No. I'm good," he says as he grabs my hand to hold it from across the table. "You want a sip?"

I shake my head side to side. "Do you want to go home?"

He nods and we both get up from the table. I wave at the cashier as we walk out of the door. Mike opens the door to the car for me. 

"Thank you," I say. Mike moves to get up, but I grab him by his collar and kiss him. We both smile into the kiss. I pull away and gently press my forehead against his. "I missed you today."

"I missed you too, Angel."

He pulls his forehead away from mine, and closes my door. Mike runs to his side of the car and jumps in. He starts the car and drives out of the lot. I reach the radio and turn it on. 

Can't Help Falling In Love by Elvis Presley plays and Mike starts to sing. I giggle and sing along, but out of tune whereas Mike sounds angelic. 

When the song finally finishes, Mike grabs my hand and laces our fingers together. "So, how's the case?" I ask, as usual.

"Oh, there is no change, so far," Mike says sadly. 

"It's okay, Mike. You guys will figure something out."

"I'm sure, Angel. But, this case may take a lot of time. The burglars barley left a trace," I immediately feel guilty at his words.  

A comfortable silence takes over. "Mike, Evie is fine, right? Like with school and everything going on."

"She's good, right now. I paid for the entire year at the beginning. Oh Angel, I forgot to tell you, Evie is coming for dinner today at 8."