Chapter 26

Annie's P.O.V

Sleep eventually takes over me after all the tears, and I wander off into dreamland. 

Mike throws something at me and I see it is a small velvet box. I open it not sure if there is a ring inside, I gasp at the sight. "I was going to ask you to marry me."

I did what I do best, I ran. I ran away from my problems. Just as I start to get into the Uber, Mike come barreling out of the house. I request for the driver to drive quickly. As the driver exits Mike's neighborhood, I look back and see Mike standing defeated in the middle of the road. As the driver exits Mike's neighborhood, I look back and see Mike standing defeated in the middle of the road. 

I jolt out of bed and gasp for air. I start to hyperventilate. "Come on, Annie. Slow breaths in. Slow breaths out," I say shakily to myself. 

I turn my head to the side table, and see that big red numbers displaying 2:30. I turn my head to face forward again, and let myself fall back onto the pillow. I sigh. I stare at the plain white ceiling with a million thoughts in my head. Maybe a walk will help me clear my thoughts? I get out of bed keeping my outfit on and I grab the hotel key. Just as I am about to exit the door, I notice a white envelope. I grab it and open it, only to see my new ID, and a credit and debit card. I decide that I might as well get the hair dye now, since I'm going on a walk. I open the door and see a box. I shrug and put the box in the hotel. I close the door and make my way to the lobby. 

The front desk was extremely kind and helpful. They gave me instructions on how to get to a drug store. I follow the map they provided me and the directions. Once I reach the supposed destination, I look up to a red neon sign with a healthcare cross. I wake into the store, going aisle by aisle because I can't read French. I'm guessing this probably wasn't my brightest ideas, but I can always learn French. I finally find the hair dye aisle. I pick up a bleach, toner, and I decide on a pastel silvery purple colour. 

I make my way to the cashier. The cashier says something in French, but I am extremely confused. I use the only French phrase I know, "Parlez anglais?"

"Yes, I can speak English," she says while laughing. I let out a sigh of relief. "I said that'll be twenty-eight fifty. How will you like to pay?"

"Credit card."

"Okay, you can tap your card."

I tap the card, and grab my stuff. The cashier hand me my recipe. "Thank you so much."

"No problem."

I start to walk away, but then I decide to ask the cashier something. "Hey. I have a question. Do you know any jobs I can get around here, only knowing English?"

"Yeah! My friend was telling me about this florist shop that is hiring. Here is the number for the place, and the name of the store. It is near the Eiffel Tower. You should be able to search the name up on the internet though."

"Okay! Thank you so much, I really appreciate the help. Goodnight."

"Goodnight."

I follow the map all the way back to the hotel. The man working at the front desks smiles. I smile back and make my way back to my room. As I unlock the door, I catch sight of the white box that I put inside the room earlier. 

Intrigued, I rip open the box. I see a brand new laptop and phone with a note from Willow. 

Dear Annie, or should I say Amelia Thomas (;

I realized that it'll be hard to find a job and make connections without a phone and laptop. I made you a new Apple ID with your new identity. Also, I transferred all your images from your old phone onto your laptop. I know you really liked Mike, hell you probably loved him. But, I thought even though you should move on, you should have something of him. If you open your phone and laptop, you will see that in the camera roll are pictures of you two. I may or may not have also hacked into his phone and transferred some of the images of you two onto your camera roll. 

Love you, 

Your sister from another mother.... and father 

I feel tears make their way back onto my cheeks for nth time today. I wipe my eyes with the back of my hand and walk into the bathroom with my hair dye, and get started. I first bleach my hair and then I tone it to get rid of as much brassiness as possible. Once I wash out the toner, I realize that I need to bleach my hair one more time. Carefully slathering the bleach on my hair, I silently pray that my hair won't fry. After 30 minutes, I wash it out and tone once again. I am happy with how blond my hair is now, so I go in with the purple dye. I saturate all my strand thoroughly and throw on the plastic bag I got from the drug store over my head.

After about two episodes of Friends in French, I wash out my hair. I blow dry my hair, and I am left with a silvery purple. I leave the bathroom and plop down on the couch. I grab the laptop and open the camera roll. Mike's smiling face is displayed largely on the screen. I continue to scroll, and I see one of the both of us at the carnival. I scroll farther up and see a picture of us at the diner. I gently brush my finger over Mike's face. I feel my eyes water, so I shut my laptop close and try to focus on the television. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please Vote, Follow, and Comment. Every bit of feedback is taken into consideration.

Thanks for reading!

Love you guys 💛