Chapter 29

Michael's P.O.V

I saunter through the mall looking for a gift for Evie's birthday. Charlie has been planning a surprise for her for at least five months. He always want to give her the best he possibly can even if that means planning a birthday party for five months.  Charlie and Evie's love makes me jealous. Despite moving on and not seeing Annie for two years, I can't help but wish she was here sometimes. 

After walking through the mall, I feel helpless because I can't find her a good gift. I go to the food court to grab some food. I casually view all the restaurants and fast food places before I feel something tug at my pants. 

I look down and see a little boy looking up at me with baby blue eyes. "Excuse me sir, are you a police officer?"

I look at him questioningly but notice that I am wearing a crewneck with the police badge on the side. "I am, little man. Now, are you lost?"

"No, my grandma told me to sit over there and keep our seat while she gets food," he says as he points at the table next to my own. I look and see that it is now occupied. I laugh silently. 

"How old are you?"

"I'm three years old. How old are you?" The little boy asks. 

"I'm twenty-four. What's your name?"

"I'm Holden. But, my mommy calls me Hold." When Annie and I were together, I told her I wanted to name my son Holden after my father. It brings back old memories. 

I look and see that Holden's getting restless from standing. I pick him up and let him sit next to me. "You know, sir, you look a lot like my dad."

"Really?" I laugh. 

"Yeah, my mom shows me a picture of him every night. She says that when I'm older, I'll look just like him," Holden says proudly. "You want to see a picture of my dad. My mommy gave me a necklace with a picture of her and him together."

I nod my head. Holden takes the necklace off his neck. His little fingers struggle to open the locket. I offer him help and open the necklace. I gasp when I see the picture. It's me and Annie. I look at Holden with wide eyes. I take in every detail of him. Annie named our little boy after my father for me. Holden probably didn't recognize me as his dad because I haven't shaved in two weeks. 

"That's my mommy and daddy. My dad's busy working, so I don't see him. But, my mommy says that he loves me to the moon and back," Holden says with a sad smile. "My mom is always sad when I bring him up. She said she loves him so so so so so much and misses him a lot."

I feel my heart tug. "If you're here with your grandma, where is your mom?"

"My grandma says mommy's in the sky. My mom gave me the necklace before I said goodbye to her. I miss her a lot," Holden says. 

Annie is in heaven. I feel tears make their way to my eyes. I can't believe I have a son and the love of my life is dead.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey y'all! It's been a while since I've updated this story. I'll be updating this from now on, but the updates will be slow.

Please Vote, Follow, and Comment. Every bit of feedback is taken into consideration.

Thanks for reading!

Love you guys 💛