Chapter 2

===========================♛===========================

I sat eager to know what was happening. Was the boy gonna be alright? Could grandpa save him? I looked up from my seat to see two men walk out of the bedroom the young boy was in. The first man (with the Sherrif gear) sat down in one of our seats while the other leaned on the wall.

"He's stable for now," said the man who was leaning on the wall. He looked over at me, finally noticing me. However, he didn't say anything. The other man with the Sherrif outfit didn't notice me.  

"Lori has to be here, Shane. She has to know," The Sherrif said to the guy, Shane.

"Okay, I get that. I'm gonna handle it. But you've got to handle your end," Shane said carefully.

"My--My end?" The confused Sherrif asked.

"Your end is being here for you son. Even if he didn't need your blood to survive, there is no way I'd ever let you walk out the door. Man, I'd break your legs if you tried. You know that, right?" Shane asked sounding close to crying. The Sheriff looked down at his lap seeming to be in a daze. "If something happened to him and you weren't here. If--If he slipped away while you were gone, you would never forgive yourself for that. And neither would Lori, man."

"You're right," The man agreed with tears streaming down his face.

"When was I ever wrong?" Shane laughed slightly. 

"You know when you were in that hospital, the one you were never supposed to leave, man, you should have seen Lori. She was like...The strength of that woman, you can't imagine it. See that's what you've got to have now. I mean, Carl... He needs that from you. So you wire yourself tight, my friend." This pep talk was sweet. Shane held the unstable man tightly. "You've got the hard part. You just leave the rest to me, okay?"

"Alright," the man nodded.

"Alright," Shane repeated. The two men pulled apart when the door behind them opened. Everybody stood up waiting for the news from grandpa Hershel. 

"He's out of danger for the moment. But I need to remove those remaining fragments," grandpa explained. 

"How? You saw how he was," The man (whose name I had yet to learn) said. Is that what all the screaming was about? The boy, Carl, was getting fragments pulled out of him.

"I know, and that was the shallowest one. I need to go deeper to get the others," grandpa said.

"Oh man," Shane sighed. 

"There's more. His belly's distended, his pressure is dropping-" I put a hand over my mouth and tears gathered in my eyes like a pool. I felt mom pull me closer in an attempt to soothe me. "Which means there's internal bleeding. A fragment must have nicked one of the blood vessels. I have to open him up, find the bleeder and stitch it. And he can't move while I'm in there. I mean, at all. If he reacts the dame as before, I'll sever an artery and he'll be dead in minutes."