Chapter 8

===========================♛===========================

"Clomp, clomp!"

The horse's hooves pounded against the light yellow, greenish, grass as we approached gravel road. The old beat-down buildings were starting to come into view. 

"Okay, what is going on? It's too quiet," I said after minutes of silence.

"Maggie, I-" 

"I asked for your trust and you betrayed it," mom snapped suddenly, catching me off guard. What was going on? "Now my dad's pissed at me. Don't you repeat that Aurora." 

"I won't as long as you tell me what's going on," I said.

"So, your dad thinks they're sick. You agree with that? Even after what you saw in the well? They're a danger to you, to Aurora," Dad said, completely ignoring my statement.

"I'm not sure what I saw at the well," mom sighed.

"Yes, you are," dad said firmly, attempting to climb off his horse. I got off mine quickly and went to help him, but he managed to get off. Gosh, I hate seeing my parents like this. "If you'd seen Atlanta, you would not have a barn full of walkers."

"There's a barn full of walkers!" I exclaimed in surprise. 

"Way to go, Glenn," mom snapped before working on tying up her horse. "And, stop calling them that before you drill it into Aurora's head."

"Why is there a barn full of walkers?" I asked. Once again, I was ignored.

"What do you call them?" Dad asked.

"Mom, grandma, Shawn, Mr. and Mrs. Fischer, Lacey, Duncan," mom said and walked into the store. 

"Okay, dad, will you please tell me why there are infected people in our barn," I asked with wide eyes. 

"Don't you answer that, Glenn!" Mom called from in the store.

"Sorry, Rori," dad whispered to me and walked to one of the isles. I sighed and made my way to the back of the pharmacy.

"What does she want now," mom huffed.

"I can't say," dad said. I walked quicker, not wanting to hear the conversation at hand.

"Aurora," mom called to me.

"Yeah, mom?" I asked turning to look at her.

"Why don't you go check the building next door," she said.

"Uh, okay," I nodded knowing they need time alone.

"Be careful," dad told me. I nodded once again and left the store. I walked to the store next door, which happened to be a clothing shop. As I walked inside, my mind drifted to my parents. I hated when they argued, but it rarely happened and I knew they would work it out. There wasn't much in here, besides clothes of course. I wandered around the store before deciding to look at the clothes. I pushed the clothes around on the rack.

"Hey, dad. You and mom okay?" I called over my shoulder when I heard some movement. "Dad? Mom?" Nothing. Nothing but shuffling. I felt a hand on my shoulder and turned to look at them. I did not expect to turn around and see a rotting, yellow-eyed, terrible-smelling corpse. My mouth fell open but nothing came out. That was until I stumbled backward and fell. A loud screeching noise filled the room, above the groans coming from the thing on top of me. Actually, things. The other one came out of nowhere. I struggled to hold the two infected people away from me.

"Aurora!" I heard my parent's frantic shouts as they entered the store. I paid no mind to them until the groans stopped. Blood splattered my face. The deadweight of the infected people, or walkers as dad calls them, pressed against me.

"Are you okay?" Mom asked, collapsing beside me. I opened my mouth to speak but nothing came out.

"Rori, are you bit? Scratched?" dad asked, also coming to crouch beside me. Before I could answer, vomit spewed out of my mouth and tears spilled out of my eyes. 

"Your alright," mom rubbed my back. I flung my arms around both my parents, wanting the soothing comfort of them. 

"We should head back. You can ride on your daddy's horse and I'll hold your horse," mom said after a few minutes. I nodded and my parents helped me stand. I shakily climbed onto the horse behind him. I leaned my head against his back as we began our ride home.

--------

 Mom was furious. Mom walked onto our land, making sure to slam the gate behind her. Dad (who's back I was on) used one of his hands to re-open the gate. 

"Hey! We got your stuff!" Mom shouted at Lori.

"Maggie, hang on, please!" Dad called, running towards her. He kept a firm grip on my shaking body.

"Come on in here," Lori waved her away quickly.

"Why? Nothing to hide. We got your special delivery right here. Nearly got my daughter killed getting it! We got your lotion, we got your conditioner, your soap opera digest." Lori looked shocked as mom slammed products down on the floor.

"Maggie," Lori breathed breathlessly.

"Next time you want something, get it your damn self. Don't put my boyfriend and my child in danger for it." Mom snapped.

"Honey, I--" Lori was too shocked to even speak.

"And here's your abortion pills," mom slammed something into Lori's chest.

"Mom," I whispered. Dad moved so I was standing on my feet. I nearly fell but dad caught me. I was just so shaken up. Mom shoved past us gently. 

"Princess, stay here. I'm gonna get your mother," dad said gently. He sat me down in a nearby chair.

"Dad, don't leave," I whimpered. Dad sighed and crouched down in front of me.

"I'll be right back, I promise. I'll be back with your mother," he told. A tear slipped down my face before I nodded. He smiled and walked in the direction mom went.

"A-are you okay?" Lori asked me. I looked up at her with wide, teary eyes. I didn't say anything. I couldn't. Even when I was in the well, I was never that close to death. "I'm sorry about whatever happened."

"I nearly died," I whispered with a broken voice. Lori's face went from shocked to sorry. 

"I-I didn't know," Lori stuttered.

"Do us all a favor and don't take the pills," I replied. I saw mom and dad walking back to me.

"Come on, Rori. Let's go inside and get you changed before your grandpa sees," mom said gently. I nodded and let her help me up.

"What about dad?" I asked.

"I'll be there in a minute princess," dad reassured me. He gave me a smile which I tried to return, but I just couldn't. 

===========================♛===========================