Chapter 48

===========================♛===========================

I had a horrible feeling that this wouldn't end well. Not at all. I watched the Governor closely and made eye contact with Grandpa. He wasn't scared. No, he was almost peaceful. Maybe frightened for us, but not for himself. 

"I could shoot you all. You'd all shoot back. I know that. But we'll win and you'll be dead. All of you. Doesn't have to be like that. Like I said, it's your choice," the Governor said. Lair. He was just saying that because he had people there who trusted him. Who fought alongside him. The Governor's eyes trailed over to the two walkers approaching the prison. I watched the Governor sigh before pulling out a gun. The two walkers fell to the ground quickly. "Noise will only draw more of them over. The longer you wait, the harder it will be for you to get out of here." Silence washed over everybody. I felt around my waistband and mentally cursed myself. I had my throwing knives but that was it. 

"You got maybe about an hour of sunlight left. I suggest you start packing," the Governor shrugged. Silence washed over everyone. "The longer you wait, the harder it's gonna be for you to get out of here."

"We can all," Rick paused, glancing around. "We can all live together. There's enough room for all of us."

"More than enough," the Governor agreed. "But I don't think my family would sleep well knowing that you were under the same roof."

"We'd live in different cell blocks. We'd never have to see each other till we're all ready," Rick tried to reason. 

Grandpa turned his head to look over his shoulder. "It could work. You know it could."

"It could've. But it can't. Not after Woodbury. Not after Andrea." the Governor said it like it was our fault. I had heard what happened. If anything, it was his fault.

"Look, I'm not saying it's gonna be easy. Fact is, it's gonna be a hell of a lot harder than standing here shooting at each other. But I don't think we have a choice," Rick said.

"We don't. You do," the Governor said.

"We're not leaving," Rick said firmly. The Governor's face tightened into a firm glare.

"You try to force us, we'll fight back. Like you said, the gunshots will just bring more of them out. They'll take down the fences. Without the fences, this place is worthless. Now, we can all live in the prison or none of us can," Rick said. The Governor looked angry as he walked behind the tank. He returned with Michonne's sword. He pushed the guy next to Grandpa and took his spot, holding the sword to Grandpa's neck. My face crumpled and a few tears dripped down my face. He aimed the sword.

"You. You in the ponytails, this what you want? Is this what any of you want?" Rick asked desperately.

"What we want is what you got. Period. Time for you to leave, asshole," one of the men in the tanks said.