Chapter 19

===========================♛===========================

"What do you want?" I asked glaring at Shane even though I was terrified.

"What do I want?" He scoffed getting closer to me. I went to move away but he gripped my wrist painfully tight. "I want you to stay the fuck away from Carl."

"Why?" Stupid, stupid, stupid question.

"Because your nothing but a bad influence. You're going to get him killed," Shane shouted. His grip became even tighter and I was sure it was gonna bruise. 

"I'm not a bad influence. He's the one who wanted to talk to Randall," I said. I felt bad for ratting him out. I guess it wasn't a good idea because Shane slapped me across the face. I gasped, my hand flying up to my cheek. 

"Stop!" I cried.

"You stay away from Carl or else it'll be much worse," Shane warned before turning around. "And don't think I won't tell your parents about this." I laid on the ground, silent tears flowing down my chubby cheeks. I let myself lay there for a few minutes before standing up. I think aunt Beth had some concealer to cover up my cheek but I wasn't gonna waste it on my wrist. Even though it hurt like hell and felt like it was broken, I was still gonna hide it. 

I quickly walked to my bedroom and began to dig through the little bit of make-up aunt Beth had. I took a small pocket mirror to watch where I was putting the concealer. I applied it gently, seeing as my cheek still throbbed. Once I decided that it was hidden enough, I walked back out of the house. 

"Aurora! Get over here please!" I looked over towards where dad's group tents were. There stood Mom, dad, and Shane. Great, I can only assume Shane told them what happened. 

"You want to tell me why you decided to drag Carl to the barn and talk to Randall when he could've easily hurt you?" Mom asked with anger. 

"I-I," I debated on what to say. Should I rat Carl out or not? "I'm sorry," I mumbled. 

"Yeah, and you're grounded," dad chimed in with his arms crossed. 

"But that's not fair!" I argued.

"It is fair. You put your life in danger and I'm not gonna let you do it again. So for a week, you're grounded." Mom said with no room to argue.

"A week?" I asked with a sad look and wrinkled eyebrows.

"Yes, a week. Or we can make it two weeks," mom said. 

"This is bullshit," I yelled my anger getting the best of me. 

"Watch your mouth, young lady. We don't want you teaching Carl those words," Shane said.

"I'm adding a day for your cursing," mom said.

"What am I supposed to do while I'm grounded? I already do chores. It's not like you can take anything away from me," I said.

"We've decided that your gonna get extra chores and early bedtime," dad said.

"Bedtime? I'm not ten anymore, dad!" I said. I instantly felt bad when I saw his face.

"Rori! That's enough. If you argue anymore I'm adding another few days," mom said taking dad's hand. I nodded and walked away before I could say anymore I'd regret. I really need to learn to control my temper.

--------

"Hey Jimmy, Rori," Carl said when he entered the room we were in. The adults were having their meeting on if Randall lives or dies. We weren't allowed in there. 

"Hey, Carl," Jimmy greeted but I stayed quiet remembering Shane's words. The bruised still hurt like hell.

"Rori, want to read some comics?" Carl asked but I ignored him once again. "Rori?"

"No thanks," I whispered. Out of the corner of my eyes, I saw Carl's eyebrows furrow.

"Why not?" Carl asked. Jimmy glanced over his thick book at us but didn't say anything.

"I'm going to my room," I said. Once I made it up the stairs and into my room, I sat on my tree, waiting for the meeting on what would happen to Randall. I knew what would happen but one could hope. But I knew I was right when I saw Dale storming out of the house. I climbed down my tree, which was rather hard, and ran towards him. It took me a second to catch him but eventually, I did.

"Dale, I think your right. We shouldn't kill Randall," I said once I caught up to him. 

"There's nothing I can do now," Dale sighed. I walked side by side with him sadly.

"Maybe they'll choose the right thing, Maybe they'll change their minds," I said hopefully buy even I didn't believe my words anymore.

"They won't. They've already made up their minds. They're gonna kill the living," Dale said as we approached the RV. He went inside and I followed.

"At least we know your the one with humanity left," I said before it became quiet again. He sent me a weak smile.

"You have your humanity, don't let anyone tell you otherwise, Rori. You're a sweet girl. Don't let this world change you," Dale said grabbing a rifle. 

"I'll try my best, Dale," I promised. He walked past me and out the RV door.  It was pretty dark now and I knew I wasn't supposed to be out here. Mom and Dad would flip if they knew I was out here, but they were inside with my family while dad's group was outside. It was fairly chilly out here at night.

"Should you be out here?" Dale asked turning to look at me. I gave him a small smile. 

"Maybe not. But I can't be in that house when the gun goes off. I can't be in that house with everybody who chooses to kill a living boy," I sighed.

"You should go back. I don't want you out in the dark woods with me," Dale said.

"Wait, do you hear that?" I said stopping. Dale stopped too and we listened closely. There was mooing, like a cow. "I think one of our cows escaped."

"Rori, be careful. We're by the forest, who knows what's out there," Dale said moving to hold his rifle in case he had to shoot.

"it's injured," I said seeing it laying on the ground. "I should-" I stopped talking when I saw its guts ripped out.

"Rori, go back. Now," Dale said with slightly large eyes.

"Alright but only if you come," I said. Dale nodded slightly. I tucked a strand of hair behind my ears still looking at the torn apart cow. Poor cow.

"Rori! Watch out!" I didn't have time to register his words before I was on the ground. My hair fell in front of my face and my hands got grass stains on them.

"DALE!"

===========================♛===========================