Chapter 22

===========================♛===========================

"Can you see them?" I asked Carl as he looked through a pair of binoculars.

"No, it's too dark," Carl sighed looking out my window. 

"Well, I don't know about you but I'm not going to sleep until they're all home and safe," I said moving to sit on my bed.

"Same. Do you, uh, do you think they're okay?" Carl asked nervously.

"They're all strong. Daryl, my dad, your dad, Shane. They'll make it back if they don't go insane," I said mainly talking about Shane with the insane part. Carl sighed leaning against my window.

"That's it. I'm going to find them. You coming or not?" Carl asked looking at me.

"Yeah," I nodded and slipped on a flannel and some shoes. He pushed the window opened and climbed out. I followed him as quietly as I could. We stood on the roof and jumped off. Thankfully the roof slanted down so It wasn't such a far drop.

"Come on," Carl whispered. I took his hand and pulled him towards the forest. 

"You have you gun, right?" I asked. We didn't have a flashlight but we had our guns.

"Yeah. Come on, I think I hear them," Carl said. I nodded and we began to run towards the voices only stopping when we saw a figures. I was shocked at what I saw next. Even in the pale moonlight I could see Shane laying on the ground with wide eyes. He didn't blink. He didn't move. He didn't talk. He was dead.

"Dad," Carl called in shock. Rick gaze shifted to us. Rick slowly made his way to stand and began stumbling towards us. I pulled out my gun while taking a step backward.

"Carl. Aurora. You know, you should be back home with your parents," Rick said coming to stand in front of us but stopped when Carl pointed a gun at him. Rick and I both looked at Carl in shock. My gun flew up to when I saw walker Shane behind Rick. "Just...Just put the gun down." I looked between Carl and the walker. "It's not what it seems. Please."

"Now!" I yelled and me and Carl shot walker Shane. We couldn't save Dale but we could save Rick. Rick looked behind him to see Shane fall to the ground. He looked relieved when we put our guns down. Carl ran to his dad and gave him a big hug before we started to walk towards Shane's dead body.

"Wait. Wait. Wait," Rick put his hand up signaling us to stop moving. We did as we were told. Rick stood over Shane's body not knowing what to do. So we just left him there. "I should get you kids back before the adults start to worry."

"Knowing them they're probably already worried," I said. Rick nodded in agreement. Rick wrapped one arm around me and Carl. It helped a little bit with the freezing air.

"You bit too?" Carl asked looked up at his dad.

"No," Rick said.

"Shane was, "Carl said and it went quiet.