Chapter 40

===========================♛===========================

"Carl, come here," dad called out to the boy. I loaded my gun, as well as everybody else. We were preparing for the battle that was coming. "You stash these at the loading dock. All right? Beth, put more up on the catwalk. If anyone gets pinned down, we need to make sure that they have plenty of ammo. I'll go work on the cage outside."

"What we should be doing is loading some of this firepower in a truck and paying a visit to the Governor. We know where he is right now," Merle said. Ugh, why was he let out of his cell?

"Are you suggesting that we just go in and kill him?" Dad asked.

"Yeah, I am," Merle said fiercely.

"We told Rick and Darul that we'd stay put," Michonne said.

"I've changed my mind, sweetheart. Being on the sideline with my brother out there ain't sitting right with me," Merle said. For once his face didn't hold a cocky smirk.

"Yeah, well, nobody asked you, and your not the leader," I snapped. I was growing impatient with Merle and with everybody else. When were Rick, Daryl, and grandpa gonna be back? Would they be okay? So many questioned raced through my head.

"The three of them are right in the middle of it. No idea we're coming. They could get taken hostage or killed. A thousand things could go wrong," dad said, ignoring what I said to Merle.

"And they will," Merle called after my dad and Carl. Carl turned around to face Merle.

"My dad can take care of himself," Carl snapped.

"Sorry, son, but your dad's head could be on a pike real soon," Merle said. Carl seemed to ignore Merle and walked away.

"Don't say that to him," mom shook her head. I took a pocket knife off the table and stuffed it in my pants.

"It's not the right move. Not now. Can't take the risk of putting them in the crossfire," dad said with a glare at Merle. "That's my decision. It's final." Dad walked away before stupid Merle could say anything else. I shook my head and checked another gun. I put the bullets back in when I saw it was full. Now it was only me, mom, and Merle packing bags and loading guns. 

----------

"What are you doing?" I asked Merle.

"What does it look like I'm doing, princess Aurora?" Merle asked rudely as he packed a bag full of ammo and weapons.

"Don't call her that," mom snapped. The room fell back into silence until the door opening broke it.

"Hey, you're not going," dad called out to Merle.

"I don't need permission," Merle grunted back, setting a gun on top of his bag. 

"I can't let you," dad said.