Chapter 28

===========================♛===========================

"Do you have a four?"

"Go fish," I said with a smirk. Carl pouted but took a card anyway.

"I hate this game," Carl grumbled.

"You're the one who wanted to play! You're just mad because your losing! Do you got a 7?" I asked.

"No..." Carl said trying to hold his smile in.

"Lair!" I accused, standing up from the ground. 

"Okay, okay! Here!" Carl handed me his 7 then held the rest of his cards on his chest so I couldn't see.

"Thank you," I said sitting back down. 

"Princess Aurora, you got a king?" Carl asked looking between his cards.

"Nope. Sorry, Sheriff, you're out of luck. I just won!" I cheered placing all my cards down to show him.

"Remind me to never play go fish with you again. You had to have cheated somehow!" Carl said picking up the cards.

"I'm just good at this game," I shrugged helping collect cards. 

"Open the door! It's Hershel!" I heard Rick's faint voice.

"Grandpa!?" I called, rushing to the door. Carl came to my side and quickly unlocked the door.

"Oh my god!" Carol exclaimed as Rick pushed grandpa through the door. He laid on a medical bed with only one leg. The other was gone and there was a lot of blood. I gasped, my hand flying over my mouth as tears stung my eyes.

"Daddy!" Aunt Beth cried.

"Go, go, go, go, go. In there!" Carol helped Rick, mom, and dad wheel grandpa into the third cell. "Get him on the bed. He got bit."

"Oh my god, he's gonna turn," aunt Beth said, cramming into the small cell. I stayed in the doorway with Carl. There was nothing I could do and if I went into the cell I'd just be in the way. 

"Did you cut it off?" Lori asked panicking. 

"Yeah," Rick nodded. I turned around and buried my face into Carl's chest. He put his arms around me in a protective way.

"Maybe you got it in time," Lori said breathlessly, helping move grandpa onto the bed.

"Oh, I need bandages," Carol said looking at grandpa's nub. You could hardly see skin it was so bloody.

"We used everything we had," dad said.

"Well, get more. Anything," Carol said.

"Carl, go get the towels from my backpack next to my bed," Lori said. Carl nodded and let go of me, quickly exiting the room.

"Is he gonna die?" Aunt Beth asked Lori.

"No, no, no, no. He's gonna be okay," Lori said pulling her into a hug.