Chapter 3: Flour

~Hayes' POV~

We had started mixing the dry ingredients together when she reached for the flour. As she filled the cup, some drifted into my face.

"Hey!" I said. She looked at me confused until she saw the white powder on my face. She laughed and threw more at me. I gasped overdramaticly and flicked a handful at her.

"Ohhhh... you have NO idea what you just got into!" My hair was pure white and she looked like a clown when Nash walked in. Kamree was just about to throw a handful at me. She held up her hands in the air in defense, opening her palm and allowing the flour to fall to her feet. By this time, we were trying as hard as we could not to bust up.

"Y'all are gonna' have to clean that up, you know..."

He grabbed a water bottle, took one last look at us, shook his head, and left. She turned to me and we cracked up.

I studied her face for a minute and then made a decision. I took a step closer to her as she took one back. She leaned against the counter and searched my eyes. I placed a hand on her waist and put the other on the counter behind her to support myself. She ran her hands through my hair and shook out all the flour, only to make it go in her hair.

She smiled as I moved the hand from her waist to her cheek and brushed the white powder away. I glanced at her lips.

"No. This isn't right. You're like, 18." I said, letting my hand fall. I saw her eyes dim.

"Hayes, I'm 15." She grabbed my hand.

"What?"

"July 7, 2000."

I stood there. I wanted to believe her.

"No! You like Nash and Cameron and Shawn. You're just using me to get to them!" I shouted, pulling away from her hands and turning towards the door.

"Hayes! I don't like them! They don't understand or listen like you do! They are self absorbed! You were the only one who noticed when I fell. Please... don't go."

I turned back to her.

My hands found her waist as I pulled her to me. Her hands made their way to my hair. As I leaned in, I let my hand reach behind her.

Our lips were 3 inches apart.

I found the sink.

2 inches.

1 inch.

I quickly flipped the faucet on and grabbed the sprayer. Once she felt the icy cold on her back, she screamed.

"Hayes Grier! You're going down!" She grabbed wrist and turned the water on me, giving her enough time to grab the cookie sheet as a shield. I felt the wet flour from my hair run down my face.

"Ohhh!" I said and turned the water off. I lunged at her and she screamed. She took off to the door. I chased her all the way around the house and jumped the fence into the back yard.

"Kamree Layne!" She turned and smiled and then jumped into the pool. When she surfaced, I smiled and shook my head.

"You might just be as crazy as I am." I flipped off of the diving board.

~Nash's POV~

Hayes, Taylor, Carter, Cameron, Matt, Kamree, Skylynn, and I sat in the living room eating pizza. Skylynn sat in Hayes' lap and talked to Kamree.

Kamree seems too good. There's nothing wrong with her. She's a saint. The kind of person you only think lives in fairytales. I find it hard to believe she's never heard of Magcon or anything before. There's just something about her--

"Nash?" I heard Skylynn ask.

"Ya?" She scooted off Hayes' lap and ran to mine.

"I want to go to Africa." I wiped the tomato sauce off of her cheek.

"Oh really? What part?"

She thought about it. "The Peru part." We laughed.

"Sky, Peru isn't in Africa."

"Ya," Taylor began. "It's in China." That earned a snort from Kamree. She covered her mouth and got red.

"Taylor, you're such an idiot." Carter said. "It's in South America."

Sky's bottom lip poked out. "Then I guess I'll go to the Australia part." I laughed again as she took a bite of pizza, totally satisfied with going to Australia, Africa.

~~~~~

Our parents went to some business conference that night so Kamree slept in our guest bedroom. I woke up around 7:30 the next morning to the sound of footsteps tiptoeing down the hall. I shrugged it off, figuring it was Hayes sneaking into Kamree's room.

Then I heard the front door close and new something was up. I jumped out of my bed and looked out my window.

Kamree ran down the sidewalk in a skater dress and into awaiting arms. The arms were connected to a guy who looked about 18. He lifted her off the ground and spun her around. He was wearing a polo and khakis. When he put her down she landed on her combat boot covered feet and they laughed. She slipped her arm into his and walked out of view.

I knew it! That... that...

She's probably getting pictures of us for the paparazzi!

OHHH!!!

"Hey, where's Kamree?" Hayes asked, knocking on my door. He's had too many girls date him to get to the guys. I can't let him get hurt again. He wouldn't be able to handle it.

"Uh... She went to change at her house." I don't even know where she lives.

"All right..." He looked at me skeptically and left.

Whew. What am I going to tell him?