Chapter 23: The Beginning of the End

Hayes and I talked about how he had gotten back and everything I had missed out on as we walked outside to my pool.

They had the changing lights on and it made the water look like a rainbow.

When we stepped into view, all of the boys looked at us. When I glanced at Hayes to ask why they were, I saw his messy hair and slightly swollen lips and guessed that I looked the same.

Great. Now they think Hayes just gave me birthday sex. Splendid.

"Okay... maybe that swim suit wasn't my best idea.... Now I'm gonna have to keep the guys off you."

"Whatever Hayes--" Before I could finish, I felt him drag me back into the game room.

Are we ever going to stay outside?

I couldn't even form a question before Hayes had retrieved his white v-neck and threw it at me. After wrenching it from my face, I shot him a questioning look.

"Put it on until we get in the water." He demanded.

"Why?"

"Because it's harder for them to check you out when you're under water."

"Hayes, they weren't even checking me out. Calm down."

He must have thought I was kidding because he gave me a roll of the eyes before deciding that I was taking too long and putting his shirt over my body for me.

It hung a little above mid thigh and when I noticed, I sighed in relief. Now they wouldn't see my scar-flawed skin.

That night, we went crazy. I'm still surprised the police were never called. There was no alcohol-- at least, none that I knew about.

After a round of Chicken Fight, I noticed Kendall sitting by herself watching Nash and Cameron try and take down Hayes and Aaron. I swam to the side of the pool and hopped out, taking a seat next to her.

Our feet dangled in the water as I looked around for Brandy. I hadn't introduced her to anyone, so I was hoping she was okay. When I saw her with Matt, I knew I wouldn't have to worry anymore.

"Four weeks." I stated, out of the blue.

Kendall glanced at me confused. "What?"

"You asked if I was willing to risk a friendship I had had my entire life for a guy I had known for three weeks. I knew him for four."

Understanding clouded her eyes and she gave me a goofy smile topped off with a laugh. "Well, you were right." She said, looking at Nash as he struggled to keep Cam on his shoulders. "His eyes don't lie."

Nash glanced over at us for a split second and caught Kendall's stare. She quickly looked down in embarrassment only to miss Cash take down Haaron... Ayes... Haayren?

After a couple more Chicken Fights, the losers had to roast the hotdogs for everybody in the gazebo while Shawn and I sang and played. My singing partner had repacked his bags quickly and made his way down just in time for the surprise the boys had planned.

I was glad to see him but stressed at everything we had to do before Mr. Hill came back with our contract.

So as we sat surrounded by a group of boys and my three best friends-- Jaid had been busy during the day but made it a couple hours into the party-- we brainstormed over ideas and just goofed off.

Shawn made the announcement of our deal which earned an applause from everybody. Kendall, Jaid, and Brandy were a tad bit upset that I hadn't told them before, but I was a little caught up in thinking about Hayes the entire time so I forgot.