Chapter 4: Swimming

~Nash's POV~

When I came downstairs with the new batteries, I saw Hayes' thumbs moving at an unbelievable speed for the thousandth time today. My curiosity got the better of me.

"Hayes, who are you texting?" I handed the batteries to Cameron and he put them in the remote.

"Kamree." He said, never looking up.

What? Why is he still texting her? Oh right. He doesn't know that she's a complete douche bag using him for money.

"Isn't she too old for you?" Cam asked. "She's 17 or something. She's major league like me; not minor, like you."

His thumbs stopped. I could tell he was mad.

"She's 15, retard."

And there go his thumbs.

Cameron and I exchanged looks.

"She is?" I asked. The guy she met up with looked at least 18.

"July 7, 2000."

What? I can't let Kamree keep lying to him. It'll only hurt worse later. I sat next to Hayes on the couch.

"Hayes, we gotta' talk." I said seriously.

"No drugs. Don't get arrested. Use protection. I know." He said with his face still buried in the screen.

"Hayes, I'm serious. This is important."

"K. Shoot." He kept texting.

I was tired of him not listening to me. "WOULD YOU PUT YOUR PHONE DOWN?!" I yelled.

He looked up shocked. Cameron even seemed surprised. We fight a lot but we never yell. He locked his screen and nodded.

I took a deep breath. "Kamree didn't go home to change this morning..."

His eyes brightened. "Oh yeah! I meant to ask you about that. She lives on the other side of the state. She couldn't have gone home. She went to church with her cousin."

Huh.

~~~~~

~Hayes' POV~

Around 1 there was a triple knock on the door. Cameron opened the door and bowed. "Your Highness." He said in a fake British accent.

"Why thank you kind sir!" She said, mocking his accent in a peppy voice.

He twirled her around and she did a couple of spins.

I smiled at her. She's so gorgeous. The way her curls framed her face. Her green eyes looked brighter today.

"Hey Hayes, do you think we can go swim?" Kamree asked, pleading with me.

"Ya, of course."

"Awesome! After lunch though... I'm STARVING!" She dragged Cam and me into the kitchen.

~~~~~

After we ordered pizza, we changed and ran to the pool. Kamree had on a one piece with Nike running shorts. It made me think about the day we played basketball. The cuts on her leg... I hate that she did that to herself.

I was broken out of my thoughts by Nash tackling me into the water. We came up wrestling. Just as I was about to win, Kamree quieted us.

"Hey, our parents want to talk to us." She put her phone down on the middle of the patio table and pressed the speaker button.

"Hey guys!" Mom said. "We just wanted to call and check up on you. How's everything going? Are they treating you right, Kamree?"

Kamree laughed.

"Yes ma'am." Nash said rolling his eyes and smiling.

"Okay, and Kamree, just call me if they need to be reprimanded. Anyway, we got the deal with the company we met with! Which is really good for us. We have to stay until Wednesday to get some papers signed and other things transferred. Are guys okay with that? Not that you have a choice." I heard the smile in her voice. Staying another 3 days with Kamree is completely okay with me.

"That's fine, Mom." I said. Cameron nudged me.

"All right. I'll call again tomorrow to check on you Kamree. I know what it's like to be stuck in a house full of boys."

"We're still here, Mom." Nash said.

"I know. Bye guys! I love you!"

We all said our goodbyes and Kamree turned off her phone. As she was about to take a drink of water, Cameron signalled for me to pick her up. Together, we picked her up and swung her into the pool.

"AHH--" She was cut off by the water. When she surfaced, she took a huge gulp of air. "That. Was NOT. Funny." She grabbed my ankle and pulled me down. I quickly latched on to Cameron's, bringing him down too. And then, to top it off, Nash jumped in next to me.

~~~~~

That night I ran into Kamree in the hallway. She had just gotten out of the shower and had a towel wrapped around her hair. She had on plaid pajama pants and a tank top. She smiled shyly and continued walking.

I laughed before stopping her by grabbing her hand.

"That's all I get? A smile? C'mon. I took you swimming."

She smirked. "You took me to your backyard. There's a difference. But... I have to admit, I had a lot of fun. I think I've had more fun in the past 2 days than I've had my entire life. "

"Well... what can I say?" I said, 'flipping my hair'.

"Okay, okay. Don't make me take it back." She smiled. "Well, I'll see you in the morning. Goodnight Hayes." She kissed me on the cheek and walked to the guest room.

I didn't realize I was still standing there shocked until Nash walked by.

"You good, bro?" He asked.

I nodded and touched the spot on my cheek.