Chapter 13: Surprise

I woke up at 7 the next morning to my alarm clock. After slamming my hand down on top of it, I stretched and yawned.

Next, I texted Cleo and told her that she needed to come home with me after church. I need her help with a surprise for Hayes.

Without waiting for a response, I walked to the bathroom and began my routine. Halfway through straightening my hair, I smelled something. I set my straightener down and closed my eyes, focussing on identifying the scent.

Crisp, sizzling, greasy, BEAUTIFUL bacon!

I ran downstairs without finishing my hair. Dad stood behind the counter making pancakes and the glorious bacon.

"Hungry, Kiddo?" He asked as I sat down at the bar.

~~~~~

When I walked through the door of the youth building at church, Cleo and Kendall ran and tackled me. After standing back up, we walked into the main room and sat down, waiting for the youth Pastor, Brother James.

Brother James just happens to be the coach of the church softball team as well. The church has an 18 and under softball team and an 18 and under baseball team.

"Good morning guys!" Brother James said, stepping up in front of the group. He pulled out a piece of paper. "Let's see... announcements: baseball and softball practice tomorrow at 2:30 behind the church. Don't be late." He said, eyeing me.

"It was one time, Coach!" I said, holding up my index finger.

Everyone laughed as he smiled and shook his head. "Choir tonight at 5."

~~~~~

After church and Sunday school, Cleo drove us to my house where we met Dad.

"I'll be in my office. Yell when it's ready." He said, loosening his tie.

We made sure his door was shut before we started talking.

"Okay, tell me everything that happened."

I started with the basketball game and walked her through the whole week, ending with the new house.

"Wow..." She said when I finished. "I'm two years older than you and I haven't had that much excitement in my entire life."

I laughed and started making tomato sauce as the noodles cooked.

"So, you mentioned something at church about a surprise?"

I looked up from cutting the onions. "Today is June 8. Hayes' birthday."

"Okay, so where do I come in?"

I looked back down and continued dicing. "Hayes doesn't know that I know it's his birthday." I lowered my voice. "I need you to drive me to his house tonight so I can give him his presents."

"Aww! You're going to be the cutest couple ever!" She smiled and clasped her hands together.

I quickly shushed her and glanced at my dad's door. Still shut.

"So what are you gonna' wear?"

I threw the last ingredient into the sauce before looking down at my sweats and t-shirt. "Uh... this?"

She scoffed. "Um. No, honey. You're getting a makeover."

I groaned.

~~~~~

Cleo pushed me down onto my vanity chair.

"Cleo, I don't think this is ne--"

"Kam, trust me. It's his birthday. Why not look gorgeous at the same time you're giving him his gifts?"