Chapter 11: Ready

~Kamree's POV~

"And then we swam some--" I was cut off by Dad's phone ringing. He checked the ID and looked back at me.

"Keep going." I could tell he wanted to answer it.

"Dad, if it's important you can take it."

He glanced at me. "No, no. I can call him back."

I rolled my eyes and snatched the phone from the cup holder.

"Hello?" I asked politely.

"Is this Mrs. Layne?" He sounded surprised.

"Oh, no Sir. This is Dr. Layne's daughter."

"Oh... does he happen to be around?"

"Yes Sir. Here he is." Dad took his phone and stuck his tongue out at me.

"Hello?" I couldn't hear the other side of the conversation. "Already?... How long do we have?... Well where are we--... let me write that down." He grabbed a notepad and pen out of the glove compartment as he constantly glanced at the road. "707 Melissa?... Okay. Thank you. I'll get back to you once we've checked it out."

Once he pressed the 'end' button, I questioned him. "What did he need?"

"Don't worry about it. I wanna know about everything else you did." He smiled at me.

Plastering a fake grin on my face, I made up stories about what we did the 2 days I was at my cousins house.

We pulled up behind the Griers into the parking lot of Mexican restaurant. Dad parked the car and killed the ignition.

"Before we get out, I need to ask you something." He said turning to me.

"Okay, shoot." I crossed my legs and faced him in my seat.

"What would you say if I told you we're moving?"

My brain stopped working.

Move?

"Like, to another state?"

"No, no. We'll stay in North Carolina. Just to another house."

Leave my house?

"But, Dad! All the memories! Mom and Mason! My childhood is in our house! Our home!" I didn't mean to, but my voice began to rise.

"I know, I know." He sat there, twirling his wedding ring around his finger. When he looked back up at me, his eyes glistened. "It's not official yet. I don't want this to hurt you, okay? It would make work easier now, with all these changes. Think about it? Please?"

I nodded and got out of the car. Gosh, I hate when he pulls the 'It's for the best' card.

Can't he ever think about me?!

~~~~~

Hayes sensed something wrong when I sat down between him and Nash. He immediately turned to me.

"You okay?"

"Dandy." I said, sarcastically.

"Hey, what's wrong?" I forced my eyes to meet his. For some reason, he couldn't reach into my mind and understand, so I pulled out my phone and texted him.

Hayes

Just Dad probs again.
Shortened version?
We have A LOT to talk
about.

Ooh! I know the
perfect place!

Secluded?

Of course ;p