Chapter 10: Home

~Hayes' POV~

After giving her ibuprofen, I tucked her in bed and turned on a movie. I brought her some breakfast from McDonald's and climbed onto the bed next to her.

"Hayes, I hurt my shoulder. I'm not dying."

"Did I ask? Nope. So you're gonna' sit here and let me spoil you. I don't want to hear any complaints. Got me?"

She saluted. "Yes sir. Can I have some Kool Aid then?"

"Absolutely not."

"What?! Why?" She asked, sitting up.

"It's game day. Water or Power Aid. That's it."

"Fine. Power Aid please."

After forcing her to stay in bed all day and drinking only water and Power Aid, it was time for her game.

"Hey, Nash? Can I drive?" I asked. I knew the answer but why not give it a shot.

"Ha! We need to get Kamree to her game alive." I looked at Kamree and shrugged.

~~~~~

When we pulled up to the field, our parents were already in the stands.

"Daddy!" Kamree screamed. She dropped all her stuff and ran into his open arms. Her legs wrapped around his waist and he spun her around.

They must be really close.

Skylynn did the same to my mom and her dad. Nash and I played it cool and calmly welcomed them back.

"LAYNE!" We heard a shout. Kamree released her father and turned to see her coach yelling at her from the dugout.

"Better go before he kicks me off the team." She smiled sheepishly, grabbed her stuff, and took off towards the dugout.

Our parents led us to their seats in the stands and then waited for the game to start.

I watched the trainer help Kamree loosen up her shoulder. After a couple windmill motions, she seemed to be fine. She threw a few warm up pitches in the outfield before the coach called them into a huddle.

Kamree's team was the 'Lady Raiders'. Their opponents were the 'Ball Hogz'. Kamree looked terrified as she approached the pitchers mound. I saw her hand shaking as she reached for the softball.

She took two deep breaths and pitched a practice ball.

"Wait. Why is my daughter pitching?" Dr. Layne questioned, clearly surprised.

"Because she's good, Sir." I said, never taking my eyes off her.

That was a stupid question.

"But--" Before he could finish, Kamree threw a beautiful strike.

"Play ball!" The umpire shouted, signaling for the batter to come.

"How long has she been pitching?" I asked him as she struck out the first batter.

"She hasn't." That took me by surprise. You can't just be that good and never have pitched before.

3 innings passed and the score was 21-3. Us.

The ump called the game the next inning. The team surrounded Kamree as they cheered. They jumped around with huge smiles on their faces.

Kamree turned towards our seats and made a heart with her hands. I was about to do one back but stopped when her dad stood up.

"I love you, too!" He said and made a heart while blowing her a kiss.

I could have sworn she was looking at me.

We filed out of the stands and met Kamree near the concession stand. She gave her dad a hug and secretly winked at me.

"Why didn't you tell me you could pitch like that?!" Her dad said, ruffling her messy hair.

"I didn't know!" She looked at me with a big smile on her face. "Hey Dad, Hayes is gonna' come help me clean up the dugout and then we'll meet you all in the cars. Is that okay?" She looked up at him.

"Sure. Just hurry. We're all going out to eat."

She nodded and grabbed my arm, dragging me towards the dugout. When we were out of sight, she slipped her hand in mine.

"You know, that heart was for you. Not my dad."

I let out a big breath.

"Good! I was confused for a second!"

I squeezed her hand and let go as we entered the dugout. We began picking up bottles and gloves.

"Hayes... we're gonna' have to talk about--" She began, a sad note in her voice.

"Later. We can talk about it later." I grabbed her hand and pulled her to me. "Stop trying to be an adult and loosen up. Everything will be fine." I noticed the doubt in her green eyes. "Do you trust me?" She buried her head in my chest.

"Always."

"Good." I kissed the top of her head. "Let's get going then. I'm STARVING!" I yelled, earning myself a smile.

As we walked out with the buckets and bags, she stopped.

"Oh, and, one more thing."

I raised my eyebrows.

"My dad can't know we're dating."

I didn't ask questions, just nodded glumly and continued walking. She had already explained the 'overprotective dad' thing so I understood.

I helped load everything into the back of the rented car and then shut the hatch. Before walking away, I turned and just stared at her. Her cheeks heated up and she looked down.

"Hayes, stop staring."

"I can't." I stated. Knowing Dr. Layne could hear, I pulled out my phone and texted her.

Kamree

I really want
to kiss you
right now. I
love you.

She rolled her eyes and pulled out her phone. I watched her eyes scan each word, then her thumbs type quickly.

I really want
to kiss you too
but for the sake
of my life, let's
wait. I love
you more.

I smiled and was about to lean in for a hug but caught myself and stuck out my hand for her to shake.

She quickly laughed and shook my hand, then walked around the car and got in the passenger's seat.