CHAPTER #17

Two days later, they went out to a late dinner. It was an outdoor patio, which allowed them to enjoy the evening sky. The moon was only a sliver, yet it was bright. Mizuki was meeting him there and so drove over. The restaurant was a block from his place, so in disguise he'd just walked there. Hiroomi chose a table and watched for her arrival. When he saw her car, he placed an order for drinks and appetizers.

"Am I late?" Mizuki asked, before sitting down.

"Not at all, I was early.  Since you drove, I just ordered us virgin cocktails, instead of a whisky on the rocks."

"Thank you.... How was your day?"

They talked about work until the main meal came. She was a little more quiet than usual, until desert arrived. "Wow, this is so good! It just melts in your mouth."

"Do you love it?"

What was his obsession with that four letter word? It was beginning to annoy her, since that was the third time during dinner, that he tried to get Mizuki to say it. "It's heavenly."

It irritated him, that she wouldn't commit to saying love in any context. "Is there some reason that you won't say love?"

"It's over used, I think describing what I feel with different words is more accurate and real."

"So you don't think I'm being real, when I tell you that I love you?" His words were clipped.

"No, that's different."

The waiter interrupted momentarily, to get payment for their meal. Once the waiter left, they were alone, because no one else was on the patio. Hiroomi bluntly asked with impatience, "why are you so scared to say I love you?"

Mizuki was angry at him for pushing her emotionally. "Those three words are over used and devalued by so many. Haven't I shown you over and over, how I feel? I've given myself completely to you and it's still not enough? Those words don't mean anything."

Hiroomi was mad and replied harshly. "They mean a lot to me.... Is it because if you say them, you can't ditch me?"

Tears ran down her face and it was both fear and anger that made her shout at him. "It's because... b-b-because I've never said those words to anyone and you're the first to say them to me! EVERYONE who I care about betrays me, LIES and then LEAVES ME ALONE!" This hurt too much. She ran away from him, down the street, forgetting she'd driven there. The pain in her heart was so intense she could barely breath.

His own anger disappeared as soon as he realized he'd misunderstood. "MIZUKI!" Hiroomi called after her. "FUCK!" He shouted into the night air. Then Hiroomi tried calling her cell phone and it rang right beside him, that's when he saw her purse. Worried about her, he grabbed it, located her keys and got in the car. Cruising up and down the streets, he didn't see her. Hoping she would just go home, he drove to her place and used the secret key to go inside. She wasn't there either, but he chose to wait anyway.

Mizuki ran for a while and then as physical pain registered, she just walked. Searching her pockets she found enough money to take the bus. There was only one place she could think of to go for sanctuary, not having her phone meant not being able to call ahead to see if someone was home. On arrival, she rang the door bell, glad it wasn't too late at night.

Emi answered the door and was shocked to find a crying Mizuki on their door step. "What's wrong? Come in.... Takahiro it's Mizuki!"

Mizuki broke down, sobbing and Emi passed her to Takahiro, in order to keep their daughter from bothering their unexpected guest. "Let me put her to bed, then let's talk."

Takahiro just held Mizuki in a hug. He didn't know what was going on and was relieved when his wife returned. "Come sit, tell us what has you so upset. Have a shot of whisky to calm your nerves."

While his wife tried to get Mizuki to talk, Takahiro called Hiroomi. "Mizuki just showed up here crying. Did you two fight?"

"Awe shit, I screwed up." Hiroomi admitted and then told Takahiro what had happened.

"Wait a little bit and then just come over. You'll have to talk it out, if you leave it alone, this might be the end. We'll keep her here until you arrive. Just text me when you get here and I'll come out with her. Emi just put our daughter to bed."

Hiroomi thanked him and was relieved that Mizuki had gone there. He hoped Takahiro and Emi, could get her to calm down and actually listen to him. It seemed like time was standing still, it took so long before thirty minutes had passed. Finally he drove towards Takahiro's house, hoping that he hadn't destroyed his relationship with Mizuki. On arrival, he texted Takahiro, who called him back.

"She's calmer now, but you need to find patience. Her emotions are raw, like exposed nerve endings. Mizuki only had one shot of whisky, wouldn't even drink a second on the rocks."

"Thanks for being there for her. I owe Emi flowers."

"Just fix things and then have Mizuki make us some bento boxes," Takahiro laughed. "I'll bring her out."

Hiroomi leaned against her car, waiting. He breathed a sigh of relief when he saw her and then regretted making her cry.

"Mizuki, he's not giving up on you. Talk it out. Tell him what you told us, so he understands your fears and how you feel about him. Omi's just feeling insecure. I'll leave the door unlocked, so you can come back inside if you don't feel safe. Then I'll come out here and kick his ass." Takahiro winked at his friend and gently nudged Mizuki forward.

Hiroomi went on his knees, "Forgive me, I misunderstood you."

She slowly came forward, but stopped when he looked up at her.

"I'm not lying, you're everything to me. I didn't think I could find love... the kind everyone wishes they had. You show me your love, all the time. I don't know why I pushed you to say those three words. I won't leave, unless you tell me we're really over. But I'm going to try for a second chance to prove you can trust me, every day." Hiroomi stood and his eyes searched hers. They couldn't be done.

Mizuki spoke, her voice so quiet it was almost a whisper. "I love you too Hiroomi."

He froze, not sure she'd actually even spoken. "Mizuki?"

She came into his arms and kissed him, then said it again. "I love you. Thank you for not giving up on me. I'm sorry I ran away."

"I love you so much Mizuki, don't scare me like that ever again. But I'm glad you came here."

"I'm sorry."

"Me too."

Glancing towards the house, she saw Takahiro and Emi watching them from the window. "Let me thank them for putting up with me so suddenly. Then let's go home... well back to my place, I need a good shower."

He smiled, holding hands they went inside to say good-bye.