Chapter 6- Scars

This Chapter mentions self-harm, abuse, and rape

Carol walks into the house and immediately heads upstairs, she needs to talk to Raven, that she can't go on like this. That she is now in a group, that people are worried, that Daryl is worried. She pokes her head into the bedroom and doesn't find her. She walks into the bathroom and sees her. "Hey," She says snatching the knife out of her hand. "Don't ever do that, he'd be heartbroken if he knew you were hurting yourself, this isn't the way out, understand?" She kneels in front of her "This is never the way out" She says as Raven looks down and cries "I just want to ease the pain I have done this before, even when I was only ten years old." She says curling up in a ball, crying into her knees. "Now you have a group and you can talk to us, you don't have to hurt yourself. Talking helps" She says Raven nods and looks down "I just feel stupid about what I did and knowing that he worries about me and cares bout me. I'm just used to it right now. Having someone to talk to, having someone care about me. I always felt like I was a disappointment, worthless and no one would care if I left or even noticed. I've tried to commit suicide a few times in my life." She says quietly, pressing her knees to her chest.

"Jesus Raven," Carol says, putting her arms around her, "I had a husband who beat me, beat me into unconsciousness. I wanted to kill myself, but then who would take care of my daughter? Who would take care of Sophia?" She says feeling the tears on her cheeks. "I fought for her, you have a reason to get a living too, you have a group. You have Daryl to worry about, I worry about. You can't hurt yourself. When Sophia died I broke down, but see, I'm here, I'm smiling, I'm alive because I have a reason," She says, taking her face in her hands and directing them to hers, "You have a reason too. If you want to leave, go, but tell someone that you are going and how long you will be gone. No one will forbid you, but we are family, and family worries and protects, dear." She says

Raven smiles softly as tears stream down her face and nods. "I'm so sorry, Carol. Thank you for being here, you guys should be the reason I am still alive and will continue to live, especially for Daryl" She says embracing Carol. "I know, honey," She says hugging you. "Daryl will get a little angry and he'll get over it. Go talk to him." She says. Raven smiles and nods "Thank you, Carol. I'll go talk to him now." She says getting up and walking to the basement and standing in front of the door.

The door is slightly ajar, Daryl is sitting as he sits in his chair. His back is covered in a dozen scars, some larger, some smaller. Some deep, some shallow. But each one is painful, and he hides his face in his hands and calms his breathing. Raven sees his back, frowns, and without realizing he's been through this shit too, knocks quietly on the door and opens it slowly. "Daryl?" She says softly looking at his back. Daryl rises to his feet and turns to face you. His stomach and chest are cut by a single, long, and deep scar. He stares at you with wide eyes. Raven crinkles her eyebrows and looks deep into his eyes, she walks over and sits down next to him on the bed, and looks at him. "It's okay Daryl. I have scars too." She says softly taking her flannel off and showing him as well.

Even though the angel wing tattoo covers her back, he can still see the scars very well. Daryl stares at her scars. "But it's different." He mutters under his breath and lowers his gaze. "Why did you come?" He asks sitting down on the workbench that sits against the wall. Raven looks at him and sighs. "I think we should talk about what happened, and I want to talk about my scars. And knowing that you have your scars, I want to know about yours too." She says softly, staring at him as she sits down on his bed.

Daryl lowers his eyes and sighs resignedly. No one should have ever seen his scars, no one should have ever felt sorry for him. He knew he was trash and deserved to be beaten like this. "My father was a dick." His voice trembles, as does his body. "When Merle was in juvie, it was my father who took his aggression out on me as a child when my mother died," Daryl says, trying to have the strength to keep from crying. "I was just afraid something would happen to you and nothing more" He mutters quietly under his breath.