22

The last night of the trip went by quickly. The next morning, the boys went to load the truck with the desired paintings and then made their way back home. The drive home felt considerably shorter, and that was alright with Kenma. He still just wanted to be home even though the trip wasn't terrible.

When the boys got back into town, Kenma insisted that they went to the gallery to hang the paintings up. When they began unloading the truck, there was one thing that was out of place. Right in front of his eyes was the painting that caused Kenma to run from the gallery. Kenma watched Kuroo carry it from the truck into the building. Kenma knew he didn't request that painting.

Kenma turned his head to Akaashi, who was busy directing the elder two boys. Kenma was conflicted if he wanted to smack Akaashi or hug him. Would he have been happier if the painting was placed into someone else's care? He had no answer for that. 

...

Akaashi had seen his boyfriend's less than desirable reaction to the painting. There was no explanation he could give to justify Kenmas reaction. The painting was a mystery. Yet, he somehow recognized the painting. Akaashi had never done much traveling, so he knew it was a place he had never personally visited. None the less he recognized the location and knew Kenma did as well.

Akaashi had helped Kuroo and Bokuto with the placement of the paintings. The three paintings Kenma had wanted to keep were all given a spot on the first floor. They weren't directly in the front of the gallery, but they were still in a high-traffic location in the gallery. It wasn't in their deal that the paintings had to be in a certain location, but that wall was free. Plus, Kenma just thought they looked nice there.

Kenma picked the location as well as how exactly he wanted them placed. Most of the paintings were scattered along the wall to give a more eclectic look. He didn't place them too close together though, so each painting had a chance to be seen on its own. Not everyone liked his system but it was his own and he wasn't going to change it.

Akaashi noticed the final painting was no longer with the ones that they were hanging. He couldn't figure out where it was though. When Kuroo and Bokuto were getting the last painting situated Akaashi made his way to look around for his blond boyfriend. He couldn't see him anywhere on the first floor so he made his way up to the second.

Immediately from stepping off the last stair at the top, he could see the blond-haired boy standing next to the freshly hung painting on the wall. The wall that has always been barren other than a single large wooden door now had a painting sitting next to it. Not once in the years he had worked in the gallery has he seen a painting on that wall. It was the one place Kenma refused to even glance at.

Akaashi cautiously made his way to his boyfriend. He observed him placing a nameplate under the piece but no price tag. Akaashi stood next to him silent for a moment. Watching the other play with the nameplate trying to attach it to the wall. "Aren't you going to price it?" Akaashi questioned.

Kenma stopped messing with the plate for a minute before trying again. He didn't spare a glance at Akaashi. "No," He said, barely loud enough to be heard.

Akaashi nodded his head even though no one was looking at him. "Why not?" Akaashi knew he was pushing Kenmas boundaries but he was hoping it would turn out ok.

Kenma finally finished placing the plate under the painting before stepping back and looking deeply at the painting. All of his attention on the image in front of him. Akaashi had never seen Kenma look at a painting for so long even if he loved it. "It belongs here," Kenma said before walking off.

The statement confused Akaashi, but in a sense, he sort of got it? He understood that the painting meant something to Kenma, but what that was exactly, he was unsure. Akaashi looked closely at the painting in front of him. It was beautiful no doubt, but at the same time, it was simple. The painting wasn't of a magnificent sunset or a spectacular garden. The setting was just a pleasant park that was pretty but not necessarily extraordinary. Akaashi looked down at the name tag. Something about it made a lot of sense to him.

"Simple Paradise"