2022, Aug 10 - Seokjin (It's No Turning Back)

[Place: Songju City]

When I walked out, it was raining. It didn't look like it would stop any time soon. I drove my car to the main road. I passed Songju Station and was near Yoongi's workroom. The stores in the cleared-out area had big X marks on them with rotting trash bags piled up in front. The road was uphill but sloped down soon. Weeds were growing between the houses with broken windows.

It was clear what I had to do. But I couldn't help but to hesitate. It was not easy to admit my mistakes and face the arrows of criticism and finger-pointing from the world.

I went through the documents I'd found during the past days---the papers in the safe inside the inner room. (A/N: Can also be den room or study room of his father.) Papers guaranteeing kickbacks from a construction company, slush funds, shoddy construction and profiteering, contract ad libitum, dual contracts, and also papers fabricated to conceal all these illegal dealings.

The one who had done all of these was my abeoji. "Too much time has passed, and too many things have happened," he had said.

He might be right. Now he'd gotten to a place of no return. That didn't mean I should stand by and watch. If he couldn't do it, then I would.

I turned the car around and headed to area four. I saw the container village between the trees. After passing Songju-Buk Middle School, and turning the corner, I saw the Yangji Children's Home. Nobody was out in the wet playground. There were puddles with rain drops falling into them. The signal changed, and I slowly drove to the residential area across from the orphanage. I passed the old houses and the identical looking low buildings. A banner hanging between utility poles in front of a rundown supermarket said: The redevelopment is NOT for the people. Who is it for? 

The people walking under the umbrellas stepped aside to avoid getting splashed by my car. I took out my phone. I called the reporter who had disclosed the first document concerning the redevelopment plan.

"Have you thought about what consequences this would bring? Are you sure you can handle it?"

I said I didn't.

When he asked, "Does this mean you might go back on your word?"

I answered no. The reporter confirmed one more time and hang up.

I glanced out. I had no confidence or anything like it, to handle was about to happen. Despite all the wrongful and illegal dealings he had committed, he was still my abeoji. But it was too late to go back. And I had no thought of going back. I had done enough regretting. Now I had to do what I had to do.

I clicked on the chatroom of my phone...