CHIHIRO

As I tied my shoelaces into a bow, I strapped my backpack over my left shoulder and looked at myself in the mirror.

Today was the day. The day I go back to the Spirit World.

These past ten years have been long, indeed. When I came back, I wasn't the same spoiled girl I was before. I returned brave, satisfied, and in love. Oh, how I missed him. My love, my Haku. I remember his beautiful grey-green eyes; they had always calmed me when I needed relief the most. When he touched me, I didn't want to let go, and I forgot everything, even that I had to save my parents.

I loved Haku. It was obvious. I still love him, and I was going back to him.

I closed the front door before going on my way. I bought this house after my parents decided to sell it and move into the country. This place held too many memories; it was close to that road, that path to the world beyond, close to him.

What would he think when I arrived? Would he be surprised? Happy? Or was he even in love with me? The last time I saw him, I could see love in his eyes. But could it had lasted as long as my love has?

Suddenly, my cell phone rang. It was my parents.

"Chihiro," my mother started. "How are you, sweetie?"

"Fine," I said, running my fingers through my hair. "Same as always."

"We're worried about you." It was my dad's voice this time. "You're... not yourself. You changed."

My heart dropped. I felt the sadness in his words, but it didn't matter.

"I'm not a little kid anymore, Dad," I snapped. "I'm a grown woman, and I can take care of myself. There's nothing to worry about."

Before there was a response, I ended the call and stuck the phone in my back pocket. Ever since we came back, they've been wondering about what happened to me. They'd never know because they don't believe in spirits. And they especially wouldn't believe me about Haku.