CHIHIRO

Lin tied my corset as I examined myself in the mirror. Zeniba sat in a corner, looking at me. I touched the ruffles of my wedding gown. Zeniba really did have a talent for sewing.

"It's beautiful, Granny," I confessed, now playing with the blue flower in my hair.

"Child," she said, smiling and tearing up, "you make it beautiful. It's absolutely stunning."

Lin finished tying the bow and stood next to me, wiping a tear from her cheek.

"I'm so happy for you, Chihiro!" She exclaimed, throwing her arms around my neck. I hug her back tightly. "You and Haku belong with each other," she whispered into my ear before letting go.

Tears began to form in my eyes, and I rubbed them away quickly.

"Look at me, crying like an idiot," I confessed, laughing. 

Suddenly, someone knocked on the door. Lin and Zeniba gasped. 

"It's time!" Lin exclaimed, handing me my bouquet of lilies. She leaped off the stand and ran out the door, Zeniba following behind her.

I took one last look at myself in the mirror. I looked.... beautiful. My hair was in a ponytail- held back by the band made by Zeniba and No-Face ten years ago- and curled. My ball gown was pure white, a gift from Zeniba. The ruffles resembled white flowers, soft to the touch. 

I breathed in and out one last time before walking out of the room. 

That's when I saw him, leaning against the wall near my door.

Kao. 

"Chihiro.." He began, making his way over to me. 

I held my bouquet in one hand and slapped Kao in the face with my other. My palm stung for a while, but I didn't care. He deserved it.

"Haku told me everything!" I yelled, thrashing out at him. I punched his chest as hard as I could, but all he did was stand there. I cursed him under my breath- surely he had heard me- but nothing happened. My anger still dwelled inside me, and I continued to hit him with every ounce of strength I had. 

Then, he pulled me upright by my shoulders. 

"You have every right to hate me," he admitted, staring at the ground. His glance went to me, our eyes now focused on each other, "but it's your wedding day. The most memorable day of your life."

Before I could say anything in return, he continued.

"That's why I'm here. To celebrate with you and Haku, but also, to apologize."

I peered around the corridor, expecting to find Haku waiting to attack him. He wasn't anywhere in sight. I stepped back from Kao, confused and nervous. 

"I already spoke to Haku. He's forgiven me, but I wanted to make an apology to you." He took a deep breath and a step forward. "I'm sorry for everything I've done to you. The only reason I put that potion in your drink was for you to fall in love with me, like I had with you. The new me wouldn't have done it, but that damn Slug took control of my wants and needs, turning them into dangerous instincts and actions. I should have stayed back and let your life with Haku continue, but please try to understand that I couldn't control it. 

"I'm sorry for attempting to kill Haku and take his place. I had no right to do any of that. He loved you dearly, and you him. I should have never gotten in the way of that." 

He sighed, then proceeded. 

"You two were made for each other. Destiny brought you here to the Spirit World, to Haku."

Kao smiled. 

"I can never forgive myself for what I've done, but I hope you can at least try. Whatever you decide, I'll be okay with."

A long pause followed his apology. I stared at him for a while. I didn't believe him at all. But then, I saw something in his eyes that changed my perspective:

Guilt. Uneasiness. Sorrow. Regret. Love. 

I saw behind the mask: a young man desperate to make things right and start all over. 

I stood there, thinking over the events that happened in the past few months, not knowing what to believe anymore. But, Kao was right. It was my wedding day, I was the bride, and a decision had to be made.