HAKU

I was fixing my tie in the mirror when I heard a knock at my door. It was our wedding day, the day Chihiro and I would become one. Nothing in the world could ruin this!

That is, until I opened the door.

"What the hell are you doing here, Kao?" I asked, anger already boiling up inside me. "You're not welcome here."

Kao was wearing a black tux, making my white one shine. His hands were in his jacket pocket, and his head was drooped.

It's like he didn't hear me. He walked in and stood in the middle of the room. I shut the door and turned to him, ready to fight.

"What do you want from me?" I growl. "You've already tried taking the best thing in my life, charming her to make her love you!"

Kao looked up at me. I didn't see rage or envy in his eyes like I did 5 months ago. Instead, there was compassion. And guilt.

"I came here to apologize," he confessed, taking in a deep breath before continuing. "What I did to you and Chihiro was uncalled for. Honestly, I never would have hurt either of you, if I could have controlled it. The Slug combined with my past spirit's fast temper, and it had a negative effect on everything around me.

"I shouldn't have tried to take Chihiro away from you. She was yours and always has been. Besides, she truly loves you, and you adore her. I couldn't bear to tear that apart now."

Kao took a step toward me. He ran his fingers through his hair nervously.

"You might not ever forgive me for what I did or how I acted," he added, "but please, at least accept my apology. I want what's best for her, and that something is you, Haku."

When he stopped speaking, I just looked at him. And deep down, I could see the old Kao crumble and fall apart, leaving the new and improved Kao in the midst. That's when I knew that this new Kao meant no harm and was here to stay.

"I accept your apology, and," I said, extending out a hand to him, "you are forgiven."