CHIHIRO

I watched Kao walk into the bathhouse behind Haku's shoulder. I looked to the right, and the sun was rising over the mountains in the distance. Above me, gray clouds began to form.

"It's about to rain," I told him, taking his hand. "Ready to go in?" 

I took a couple of steps before I was pulled back into his arms. His hands were on my lower back, and he was looking into my eyes. 

 "No," he said softly. "I want some time with you." He took one of my hands and started playing with my fingers delicately. "Just you." 

He smiled at me, and I smiled back. Suddenly, I was lifted up off the ground. I flinched. Then, the sound of Haku's voice calmed me down. 

 "Hold on, and trust me," he whispered. 

 Before I could say anything, we were off, flying through the deserted village, going by the small river, and stopped on the sand next to the wide mass of water under the bathhouse. That's when Haku gently put me back on the ground alongside him. I stumbled a bit trying to regain my balance. 

"Thanks for warning me," I said sarcastically, sitting on the sand. 

 Haku joined me. "I told you to trust me, didn't I?" 

 I playfully punched his shoulder. I sat my legs up and wrapped my arms around them, watching the distance. The train was at its stop, and I watched a few spirits enter the cart. I felt Haku's eyes on me, and I turned to him, meeting his gaze. 

"What?" I asked, tilting my head. 

He tilted his head with mine and brought a hand to my face, pushing back a piece of my hair behind my ear. 

"Nothing," he answered, grinning. "You're just beautiful."

I felt my face heat up, but this time, I didn't hide it. I gave him a smile and a soft chuckle. All of a sudden, thunder rumbled overhead. I looked up and a drop fell on my face. I immediately stood up.

 "We should get going," I stated. 

 From the corner of my eye, I saw Haku stand up as well. 

 "Wait," he said, grabbing my forearm. "Before we go, I have to tell you something." 

I turned to look at him, curious as ever. He took a deep breath and pulled me into his embrace.

 "Chihiro," he started, "I've been meaning to tell you this ever since you left ten years ago. But, I didn't. It would have not only hurt me because you were leaving, but it probably would have also hurt you because you might not have felt the same way or you might not ever return. Now, you're here to stay for good." Haku stared into my eyes, and inside, I could see something I've always seen. This was it. The moment of truth. "I'm in love with you, Chihiro Ogino." 

It suddenly felt as if the world around us ceased to spin. My heart leaped at his words. I smiled and grazed his cheek with my fingers. 

 "Oh, Haku!" I exclaimed in joy. I jumped into his arms, wrapping my legs around his waist. I'm pretty sure I caught him off guard, because he fell backwards into the water behind him. I fell in, too. In the midst of the small waves, I could feel Haku's arms hold me tightly around my hips and his nose poke mine. I giggled as I wrapped my arms around his neck. 

 At last, we resurfaced, neither of us out of breath. I opened my eyes and found him staring at me, his black hair soaked between my fingers. 

 "I'm in love with you too, Haku." I returned. "I always have been, and I always will." 

The rain began to pour down on us, and that's when Haku leaned in and sealed our lips into a slow yet passionate kiss. It was better than I ever imagined. In fact, this was, without a doubt, absolutely, positively perfect.