ZENIBA

"What an odd request," I admitted, knitting the last stitch in my handmade scarf. I dropped the ball of yarn in the basket beside me. "And from a spirit such as yourself."

He shrugged. I let out a deep breath as I reached for my bifocals.

"What's in it for me?" I questioned, peering at him from the corner of my eye.

He looked at me, and all of a sudden, a brown bag appeared on my dining table, catching me off guard. Confused, I opened it up and found a heap of gold inside. I reached for a piece and nibbled on the end of it. It was real. Pure gold.

"Alright, you've convinced me."

I made my way to my cabinet and pulled out an old, dusty book. I blew the dust off and rubbed the cover of it with my fingertips, feeling the gold lettering 'Bamani's Book of Magic' plainly.

He got up from his sitting. I held up a hand as I grabbed a nearby cauldron and propped it on the table in front of me.

"Sit and be patient," I ordered. And, he sat.

I flipped through the book until I found what was needed. I looked at the ingredients for this specific spell and waved a hand in the air, making bottles and jars make their way from the cabinets to me.

"The Transformation Spell," I read aloud. "Two cups of sparkling water, a pair of frog's legs, a pinch of magic.." I paused and looked up at him, a hand outstretched with scissors. "A piece of the recipient's clothing."

He quickly took them from me, snipped off a part of his cloak, and handed it to me. I dropped it into the cauldron and stirred up the mixture. I watched it turn purple.

"Lastly," I concluded, "something from which he or she wishes to transform into."

I turned to my lock box and, with the right combination, opened it. I took out the golden figurine Haku had stolen from me and inspected it with a close eye. Finally, I found it: a strand of Haku's hair.

Without haste, I put the last ingredient into the concoction and stirred it once more until it glowed green. I grabbed a vial and poured a small amount of the potion into it.

"Now," I explained, taking the liquid to him, "your wish will be granted once you take this and I say the necessary spell." He snatched the bottle from my grasp and put it to his mouth. "But," I continued, "I can't promise you that she'll fall in love with you. After all, she's in love with Haku."

He growled at me, his nasty teeth grinding in anger. I didn't flinch, but I could tell that he was desperate for this.

I turned around and picked up the book, pushing my glasses up on my nose.

"Ready?" I asked him, and without any hesitation, he nodded and took in the liquid. Then, I cleared my throat, and repeated the text in front of me:

THIS CREATURE WANTS TO TRANSFORM,

A WISH DOWN DEEP INSIDE.

HEAR ME, OH LORDS OF OUR WORLD,

HUMAN AND SPIRIT COMBINED!

THIS CREATURE WANTS TO TRANSFORM,

A WISH DOWN DEEP INSIDE.

HEAR ME, OH LORDS OF OUR WORLD,

HUMAN AND SPIRIT COMBINED!

After the last word was said, a blinding light appeared and engulfed him. Winds deadened my cottage and picked him up. He cried out in pain as I watched in fascination at the transformation. And just like that, it was finished. The deed was done, and his wish was granted.