HAKU

I stood at the altar, anxiously waiting for my Chihiro to walk down the aisle. Beside me stood Kamaji, my best man. He patted my shoulder with one of his hands. 

"Good luck, m'boy," he whispered. "You and Chihiro will have a long and happy life together."

I nodded to him and smiled. 

Then, the band started to play. Across the room, the doors opened wide, and all of our guests stood.

Lin was the first to walk out, Chihiro's maid of honor. She sprinkled rose petals down the carpeted aisle as she made her way down to the front. 

Next was a pause, until the band began playing the wedding march. All eyes were on the open doors, awaiting Chihiro's arrival. At last, there she was.

But, she was not alone. 

Walking her down the aisle was Kao, a small grin on his face. She had forgiven him. He gestured to me, and I smiled back at him. Then, I looked at Chihiro. She was glowing. She was so beautiful that I could feel tears of happiness strolling down my cheeks. She showed that smile of hers to me and wore it proudly. I returned it with a beam of my own. 

They stopped right in front of me, and I got a better look at her, my soon-to-be wife. Her dress was handmade by Zeniba, and she did a good job at that. It was covered in lace and ruffled flowers, strapless, and it fit her petite figure so perfectly. 

Kao handed her to me, and I took her hand into mine, helping her up to the altar. He took a seat next to Zeniba in the front row. I stared at Chihiro for the longest while, and she looked at me. Her eyes sparkled under the bathhouse light. Everything around us disappeared, and I felt as if we were the only two people here.

That is, until Yubaba cleared her throat. 

"Dearly beloved," she began, "we are all gathered here today to witness the joining of human and spirit. In all honesty, I have never seen a love as strong as Chihiro's and Haku's, and now, they are about to become one."

Yubaba then asked that we each say our vows. I watched Chihiro turn around and grab a slip of paper from Lin's hand. I stood there and smiled. 

"Chihiro, you first," Yubaba said. 

Chihiro took a deep breath and stared into my eyes. 

"Haku, we have been in love for ten years, and we have been through some amazing adventures. Now, we stand here today in front of our friends, starting a new journey together, full of everlasting love and excitement. When I first met you ten years ago, it came as a surprise to me that you had known me since I was small. I eventually realized that you were the one that saved me from drowning in your river a few years prior. For that, I am eternally grateful. I promise to support you in our ups and downs, love you unconditionally, and stay by your side for the rest of our days. Destiny brought you to me, and I to you. You are my lover, my soulmate, and I can't wait to start the rest of my life with you.  I love you."

I smiled broadly as tears streamed down my face. I didn't bother to wipe them away. All around the room, guests were crying tears of joy. Lin could hardly hold herself together, as well as Zeniba. Kao grinned and wiped his face, ridding himself of any tears. 

Chihiro's tears dripped off her jawbone onto her dress as she slipped a golden ring onto my left hand. 

"Now, Haku," Yubaba said, turning to me, "it's your turn."

I took Chihiro's hands into my grasp and pulled her close to me.

"My dearest Chihiro, when I first saw you, I knew that I would never forget you. Now, in front of all our guests at the place we found each other again- the bathhouse- we are promising our love to each other for life. You are my best friend, my confidant, my lover, and my anchor. I am eager to share all of life's little moments with you. I still can't believe how lucky I was to have found you in my river. I'm glad that you fell in so that I could have saved you and, eventually, fall in love with you. I promise to take care of you for all of my days, love you more each and every day, and be your Haku for all eternity. For better or worse, I will always be there. I have loved you for years, and I know for a fact that my love for you will continue to grow. You are the love of my life, and I will love you today, tomorrow and forever."

I grazed her lips softly. I leaned back to find Chihiro in a dazed state while tears continued to pour. Not one spirit in the bathhouse could hold back from crying, not even Yubaba or Kao. Yubaba wiped her eyes with her dress and put on a solemn face. 

"That was beautiful," Yubaba confessed. "Both of you."

I then slid a gorgeous silver wedding band onto her ring finger and held her hand, the diamond sparkling under the light. 

Yubaba cleared her throat again. 

"Do you take each other for better or for worse, in sickness and in health, for all eternity?"

Chihiro and I looked at each other- smiles on our faces- and simultaneously replied, 

"I do."

"Then, by the power vested in me, the spirit world, and the human world," she announced, "I now pronounce you husband and wife." 

Our guests stood to their feet and applauded. Before Yubaba could say to kiss the bride, I brought Chihiro into my arms, bent forward, and kissed her hard and passionately. 

At last, we were one. 

All of a sudden, Chihiro was lifted out of my arms and into the air. Then, a bright light surrounded her, and I could no longer see her. I watched in awe and confusion as she was brought back down in front of me, and the light disappeared. She peered down at her hands with a bewildered look on her face. 

"What just happened?" I asked, pulling her close.

She shook her head. "I don't know, but I feel.... different."

Zeniba rose from her seat.

"Since you two are officially one in heart, body, mind, and soul," she explained, "by the Spirit Law, Chihiro has transformed from a human to a spirit."

My eyes widen as I peer at Chihiro. I held my hand up at her. She grazed my palm with her fingertips. I felt her spirit. She was no longer a human. 

I smiled. I picked her up bridal-style and ran down the aisle and out the doors. Chihiro giggled as she wrapped her arms around my neck. 

No death. No sickness. Nothing could tear us apart now. 

We would be together forever. And that's a promise that will never ever break.