Chapter Twenty Three- Back to the Future

Where are you going?

The apartment was empty when Cass awoke

The apartment was empty when Cass awoke. The curtains were drawn in the tiny bedroom but light still streamed in through the thin material. The house was quiet, too quiet for if any of her siblings were still around. She didn't mind though. She'd been used to being alone. But she wasn't really alone. Elliot would still be in the living room...

Cass sat up in bed, letting the covers tangle up around her feet as she drew her legs to her chest. She stayed there, rocking back and forth on the mattress, part of her wishing she was only dreaming. But by now she had learnt to tell the difference between dreams and reality...and visions.

Why hadn't she seen this coming? She should have known! She could have known. She could have stopped it. But she didn't. She'd failed and now Elliot was dead. And it was all her fault.

Cass kicked off the covers and stood up, her bare feet scrunching up in the carpet like she always used to as a kid, before everything went wrong. She hugged her arms around herself as she cautiously tiptoed into the living room.

There he was. Still in that chair, covered by the sheet Diego had covered him up with. The blood still seeped through but it was better than before. Still not what Elliot had deserved but it was a little more respectful. And it didn't make Cass want to cry as much.

Cass ran her hand along the back of the couch, not wanting to sit down and for things to go back to normal just yet. A scene flickered in her mind but it was a vision, it was just a memory. Cass was sat on the floor by the coffee table, searching through newspaper cuttings and the photos Elliot had taken from when each of her siblings had landed. Elliot sat behind her on the couch, meticulously folding and unfolding his arms as he looked at Cass.

"It's incredible, Elliot!" Cass said in the memory, "I can't believe you managed to make it with only this stuff, I mean, it's so much worse than what we have..."

Cass smiled at how Elliot's eyebrows screwed up when she had said that. She had meant that camera quality had got a lot better in 2019. Of course he didn't know that.

"Yeah, I can imagine," Elliot muttered, interlocking his fingers and shifting his weight onto his feet as if he were about to stand up. Cass found she could walk around in her memory. She stood behind Elliot, watching him as he watched her sort through the photos.

"Alien technology would be better than ours..." he mumbled. Cass smiled. He was sweet. Why didn't she notice he had said that? Past Cass carried on looking through the newspaper cuttings.

"What did you say?" she asked, glancing over her shoulder at him but not really looking.

"Nothing, don't worry," Elliot mumbled and shifted his weight back again. "Actually," Elliot piped up again and shifted forwards. "I was thinking," he stammered, tugging at his shirt sleeves out of awkwardness, "I thought we could, maybe, go out to eat some place. To celebrate finding your family. If you want to." Elliot kept looking at the floor to avoid looking Cass in the eye. She wished he had. But it was too late now, it was just a memory. And it was too late now to change her answer.