Chapter Nine- It's A Discipline Problem

Your Son Calls You By Your First Name?

"So..." Elliot said, at last, finally no longer freaking out. Cass had shown Five through into the sitting room and since she had no further need to stay awake, had given her cup of coffee to him. The two of them had made themselves comfortable on the sofa while Elliot loitered in the corridor, trying to wrap his head around what had just happened.

"This kid part of your family too?" He asked, looking at Cass and Five sitting together on the sofa in contented silence.

"Yes," Cass asked as if to say 'obviously'.

"He your son or something?" Elliot asked with a half frown before adding so quickly it made Cass raise an eyebrow: "Not that I care."

Cass pursed her lips, trying not to burst out laughing as she shared a look with Five who looked even more insulted than Cass.

Cass looked back to Elliot at the same time Five looked over at him to answer his question.

"Yes," Cass said with a smile at the exact moment Five said "No."

Five immediately turned to look at her and Cass returned his stare.

"What the hell?" he hissed and Cass had to take a pause to gather herself and not burst out laughing.

"You want to tell him the truth, go ahead," she said confidently, "I won't spare any details then he'll be freaked out and we'll scare him off, and he won't help us and we'll be homeless. That what you want?" Cass shrugged.

"Fine," Five hissed, hiding his mouth with his coffee mug, "I'm so happy you're living with my mom," Five said flatly through gritted teeth, making uncomfortably intense eye contact with Elliot. Cass just grinned.

"So tell me," Five said, changing the subject rather quickly but faltering as he had forgotten Elliot's name.

"Elliot," Cass answered and Five nodded appreciatively.

"So tell me, Elliot," Five continued and Elliot slowly eased into the sofa opposite them, still looking a little like a deer in the headlights, "Those contraptions on the roof," Five continued, "You built those?"

Elliot looked to Cass, who nodded encouragingly and he took a deep breath before answering, "Er, yeah."

"Clever, ain't he?" Cass smiled enthusiastically and nudged Five with her elbow just as he was about to take a sip of his coffee. He almost spilt it down himself but managed not to get any on his jumper. However, he did get coffee all over his face.

"Depends on what it does," Five shrugged and turned his attention back to Elliot who had to look over at Cass for reassurance that Five wouldn't bite before answering.

"It tracks anomalies in the atmosphere and waits for, well, you know," Elliot shrugged, "And then takes a photo on an automatic timer."

"Waits for what?" Five interrupted and, with reassurance from Cass, Elliot answered.