Chapter Twenty Seven: Milkmen Killed my Boyfriend

"Those fucking milkmen killed my boyfriend!"
"If it's any consolation, at least one of them is dead. We had to wrap his corpse up in Allison's rug."

"What do we do now?" Diego wondered aloud as he and Five stood in front of Diego's very angry ex-girlfriend and her equally angry adoptive mother, who also just so happens to want Five dead. Not to mention the army of commission agents all ready with weapons to kill Diego and Five and their entire family. What is with our family that makes people want to kill us? Cass wondered as she stood with Klaus, Luther and Allison, watching as Diego and Five's attempts at peacemaking failed. They were about to fight for their lives, again. Cass knew she could predict the future, but this is starting to feel cliche.

"We have two choices: fight and die now or run and die later." Five shrugged. If only it were that simple. There were hundred, maybe even a thousand, commission agents with guns ready to turn on them and Cass and the rest of her family were out in the middle of an open field with nothing to defend themselves with except their shitty powers that their shitty father and never actually told them how to control properly. Least of all her. She'd just about figured it out and now they were going to die again.

"Preference?" Diego asked above the sound of guns clicking to life.

Five looks over his shoulder at Cass and the others and back to the army of the commission, and the Handler smug lipsticked smile. "Wouldn't mind a few more minutes breathing air through the old windbags."

"All right," the Handler sighed, impatiently looking at her watch, "Let's get this over with."

Five and Deigo shared a look before immediately turning around to run away. The others look confused – Klaus frowns and turns to Cass, who shrugs and takes off running.

"I guess we're running away," Alison shrugged, turning on her heels and running after Cass. "Would have appreciated the heads up."

Cass heard Allison from behind her and doesn't know if she's talking about Five and Diego, or her.

They ran off like startled rabbits, and split up, each of them looking for a place to take cover. There's no way they'll make it back to the barn where Vanya is with Sissy and Harlan. The commission will gun them down long before they make it.

Strangely, no one has started shooting at them; it's like the Handler has given them a head start. There's no good reason for it, she must know they have no real chance, super powers or not, the commission overwhelmingly outnumbers them. The Handler lets them run, for no reason but her own entertainment, before she raises a handkerchief and lets it fall to the ground.

As soon as the cloth has left her hands, the commission charges after them. Cass doesn't dare look back. She feels gunshots hit the ground by her feet but she can't look back, she just looks forward. She's good at looking forward.